Trustees of the Austin-Bailey Health and Wellness Foundation this month announced the approval of grants totaling about $170,000 to 16 nonprofit organizations.
The recipients provide services that promote the physical and mental well-being of residents in Stark, Wayne, Holmes and Tuscarawas counties.
Receiving the grants were:
• Adaptive Sports Program of Ohio, $8,000 for wheelchair basketball program.
• AHEAD, $2,500 for speech pathology assistance for children ages 3-6.
• Alliance Domestic Violence Shelter, $5,000 for a counselor to lead a peer-to-peer support program.
• American Red Cross of Stark County, $5,000 for medical transportation.
• Christian Children’s Home of Ohio, $5,000 for a trauma training program.
• JRC of Canton, $5,000 for nutrition outreach program to fight obesity in children.
• Kent State University-Stark Campus, $17,000 for an intravenous simulator for new science building.
• Love Center Food Pantry, $10,000 for food for those in need.
• Mental Health and Recovery Services Board of Stark County, $24,000 for behavioral Health System Assessment.
• Paint Township Fire & Rescue, $10,000 challenge grant for a heart monitor, defibrillator and chest compressor.
• Pregnancy Support Center, $7,000 for medical equipment.
• Prescription Assistance Network, $25,000 for medication assistance for underinsured and uninsured.
• Project Rebuild, $1,755 for greenhouse program for at-risk youth.
• Stark State College Foundation, $15,000 for upgrades at dental hygiene clinic.
• Village Network, $15,000 for horticulture therapy program for mentally and behaviorally challenged children.
• Western Stark Free Clinic, $15,000 for support of dental program.
In addition to the above grants, Austin-Bailey provides $4,000 scholarships to students engaged in heath-related studies at Aultman College of Nursing, Kent State University-Stark Campus, Kent State University-Tuscarawas, Malone University, Stark State College, University of Mount Union and Walsh University.
Ohio University College of Osteopathic Medicine also receives $11,000 for two scholarships from the foundation.
Austin-Bailey has two grant cycles each year. The deadline for submitting grants for the next cycle is Dec. 10. For more information, go to www.foundation center.org/grantmaker/austinbailey or call 330-580-2380.