Other plans for Lock 3 this winter season
• Ice skating: The rink — the largest in Ohio at 10,000 square feet — will be open starting Saturday through January. It will be staffed with city recreation employees Thursdays through Sundays. Hours vary. At other times during daylight, skaters may use the rink at their own risk. Admission is free; skate rental is $3, with free, strapless skates available for toddlers. Preschool-age skaters must be accompanied by an adult.
• Sledding: This all-season, polymer-coated slide is designed for younger riders. Adults may accompany children on the sleds. It will be open Thursdays through Sundays, with afternoon and evening hours. Only toboggans and tubes that Lock 3 provides may be used. Sleds will be rented for $3 for 30 minutes, and the number of sleds available each half hour will be limited.
• Tree lighting: 7 p.m. Nov. 23 at Lock 3. It will include a fireworks display, paid for by the Downtown Akron Partnership, and Cajun music by Mo’ Mojo. Skater Zachariah Szabo and the Wooster Figure Skating Club will perform a skating demonstration. Akron’s Thirsty Dog Brewery will tap the first keg of its 12 Dogs of Christmas Ale.
• Welcome Santa Parade: 11 a.m. Nov. 24 on Main Street, featuring more than 100 units.
• Winter Farmer’s Market: 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. Dec. 15 and noon to 4 p.m. Dec. 16 in the basement of the former O’Neil’s building.