Drug take-back collections — numbering 23 — will be held Saturday in the Akron-Canton area.
The Akron Police Department will accept old drugs from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the visitors’ parking lot at the Metro Regional Transit Center at 631 S. Broadway St.
Summa Health System will accept drugs in parking Lot 1 at 95 Arch St. on the Akron City Hospital campus.
Elsewhere in Summit County, police departments in Bath Township at 3864 W. Bath Road and the city of Twinsburg at 10075 Ravenna Road will host collections.
The collections of unused and unwanted prescription drugs from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. are part of a national drive organized by the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration.
Unwanted medications can be abused, stolen or improperly disposed of into sewage systems. The event is a national initiative to ensure the medications are disposed of properly.
Last April, the collections resulted in 276 tons of prescription drugs being collected and safely disposed of from 5,659 sites across the country.
Americans spend about $190 billion a year on prescription and over-the-counter drugs. Abuse and misuse of prescription drugs is second to marijuana as the most prevalent drug problem in the United States, experts say.
The four national collections have resulted in more than 1.5 million pounds or 774 tons of drugs being collected, the federal agency reports.
There will be three collections from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday in Portage County. They include:
• Portage County Water Resources, 8116 Infirmary Road, Shalersville Township. Organized by the Portage County Sheriff’s Department.
• Ravenna Police Department, 220 S. Park Way, Ravenna.
• Robinson Memorial Hospital’s Medical Arts Building parking lot, 6847 N. Chestnut St., Ravenna.
There are 16 collections in Stark County. They are:
• Mercy Medical Center, 1320 Mercy Drive NW, Canton, and Aultman Hospital, main entrance at 2600 Sixth St. SW, Canton. Sponsored by the Canton Police Department.
• North Canton Police Department, 145 N. Main St.
• Jackson Township Police Department, 7383 Fulton Drive NW.
• Plain Township Hall, 2600 Easton St. NE. Sponsored by the Stark County Sheriff’s Department.
• Canal Fulton Police Department, 1165 S. Locust St.
• Anytime Fitness, 5119 W. Tuscarawas St., Perry Township. Sponsored by the Perry Township Police Department.
• Salvation Army, 315 Sixth St. NE, Massillon. Sponsored by the Massillon Police Department.
• Hartville Police Department, 202 W. Maple St.
• Marlboro Township Police Department, 7344 Edison St. NE.
• Alliance Police Department, 470 E. Market St.
• East Canton Police Department, 130 S. Cedar St.
• Fairless High School, 11885 Navarre Road, Brewster. Sponsored by the Beach City Police Department.
• Constitution Center, 1022 W. Main St., Louisville. Sponsored by the Louisville Police Department.
• Sandy Township Fire Station, 8285 Waynesburg Drive SE. Sponsored by the Waynesburg Police Department.
• Minerva Police Department, 209 N. Market St.
No collection sites are listed for Medina and Wayne counties.
For information, call 800-882-9539. You can also go to www.deadiversion.usdoj.gov/drug_disposal/takeback/ to find the closest collection sites.
Bob Downing can be reached at 330-996-3745 or email@example.com.