• Federal and state corrections facilities held more than 1.6 million prisoners at the end of 2009 — about one of every 199 U.S. residents.
• At least 95 percent of state prisoners will be released back to their communities.
• During 2009, 729,295 inmates were released from state and federal prisons, an increase of 20 percent from 2000.
• More than four in 10 offenders return to state prison within three years of their release, according to one study.
• In 2009, parole violators accounted for 33.1 percent of all prison admissions — 35.2 percent of state admissions and 8.2 percent of federal admissions.
On the Web:
• http://nationalreentry resourcecenter.org
• www.uwsummit.org/CommunityInvestment/ reentryprogram.htm
Source: National Reentry Resource Center