The extreme cold temperatures and dangerous conditions related to wind chill that began Monday and continue today led to numerous postponements or outright cancellations.
All schools are closed today.
Among the other closings reported to the Beacon Journal, along with other weather-related news were:
• Akron City Council postponed its meeting Monday night and next will meet Jan. 13.
• Akron Municipal Court and Stow Municipal Court will be closed today. Affected hearings will be rescheduled.
For more information on cases in Stow, call 330-564-4174 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Summit County Common Pleas Court and the county prosecutor’s office will be open, and all hearings and procedures are set to go forward as scheduled, officials said.
• Meals on Wheels of Stark & Wayne counties closed its offices today and canceled scheduled meal deliveries in its service area. Meal deliveries are expected to resume Wednesday.
• The Akron Zoo is closed today. If weather conditions are favorable, it will reopen at 11 a.m. Wednesday. For more information, go to www.akronzoo.org or call 330-375-2550.
• Horseshoe Casino Cleveland is closed until further notice. Check the casino’s Facebook page or call 216-297-4777 for updates.
• Stow set up warming centers at its Safety Building and at the council chambers in Stow City Hall. Both facilities are located on the Stow City Center Campus, at the corner of Graham and Darrow roads. The centers will be available until 9 a.m. Wednesday. For more information, call 330-689-5100.
Also in Stow, the city’s Parks and Recreation Department canceled all programs scheduled for today. Affected activities include all basketball games (elementary, seventh/eighth grade, high school and men’s), senior center offerings, yoga and body sculpting.
• Tallmadge opened its recreation center for emergency shelter. Any city resident needing assistance because of the weather is advised to call the Police Department’s nonemergency line at 330-633-2181.
• Tallmadge City Council rescheduled its organizational meeting, postponed Monday, for 6 p.m. Thursday. A committee meeting will follow immediately, and the regular council meeting is set to begin at 7 p.m.
• Canton City Council postponed its regular meeting Monday and an informational meeting scheduled for tonight. The body will meet at 7:30 p.m. Thursday.
• Norton City Council moved a committee work session from Monday to 7 p.m. Thursday.
• Administrative offices in the village of Richfield will be closed until 8 a.m. Wednesday. The Village Council meeting scheduled for 8 tonight has been canceled.
• City offices in Munroe Falls will be closed until Wednesday morning.
• The Green Board of Education moved its organizational meeting from Monday to Wednesday and changed the location from the city’s Central Administration Building to Green High School. The selection of a new board president will begin at 6 p.m.; the regular meeting will follow.
• The Revere Board of Education postponed its 2014 organizational meeting Monday and rescheduled it for 5:30 p.m. Wednesday in the district’s Administration Building, 3496 Everett Road.
• Social Security Administration offices statewide will be closed until Wednesday.