Goals of the “March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom” in August 1963:
• Passage of meaningful civil rights legislation.
• Elimination of racial segregation in public schools.
• Protection for demonstrators against police brutality.
• A major public-works program to provide jobs.
• Passage of a law prohibiting racial discrimination in public and private hiring.
• A $2-an-hour minimum wage. (At the time it was $1.15.)
• Self-governance for the District of Columbia, which had a black majority population.
Source: Stanford University Martin Luther King, Jr. Research and Education Institute.