• “Human trafficking” — sexual, domestic, industrial and agricultural — is a $32 billion per year industry.
• Women and children make up 80 percent of all trafficking victims who are forced into the commercial sex trade.
• A child is trafficked every 30 seconds.
• The average age of entry into commercial sex slavery in the United States is 13 years old.
• Nearly 2 million children are involved in the international commercial sex trade.
• Human trafficking is the fastest-growing criminal industry in the world.
• Human trafficking occurs in 161 out of 192 countries.
• Up to 96 percent of women in prostitution want to escape but feel they can’t.
• In some countries, it is estimated that 70 percent of men purchase sex.
• Pornography is a $96 billion per year industry.
Breakdown of the 20.9 million global human trafficking victims:
• 11.7 million in the Asia-Pacific region.
• 3.7 million in Africa.
• 1.8 million in Latin America and the Caribbean.
• 1.6 million in Central, Southeast and Eastern Europe and the Commonwealth of Independent States.
• 1.5 million in developed economies, the European Union and the United States.
• 600,000 in the Middle East.
• www.rescueandrestore.org (U.S. Department of Health and Human Services).
• National Human Trafficking Resource Center hot line: 888-373-7888.
Sources: www.nefariousdocumentary.com from various U.S. and U.N. government sources; International Labour Organization.