Beacon Journal staff report
Nearly four-dozen area agencies and nonprofit organizations will benefit from grants awarded this fall by the Laura R. and Lucian Q. Moffitt Foundation.
The largest grant, $2,500 was distributed to the Akron-Canton Regional Foodbank, to support its operations across an eight-county service area.
Others receiving grants were:
• Akron Art Museum, for teacher events support, $1,500.
• Akron Inner City Soccer Club, for program support, $500.
• Akron Marathon Charitable Corporation, for start- and finish-line improvements, $500.
• American Red Cross of Summit and Portage Counties, for community dinners, $1,500.
• Asian Services in Action, Inc., to teach English and computer literacy skills to Asian-American students, $500.
• Beacon Journal Charity Fund, for orthodontic care program, $1,500.
• Blick Clinic, to purchase a hydraulic lift to move clients for physical therapy, $500.
• Boy Scouts of America – Great Trail Council, for Pathfinder District initiative, $500.
• Building Tomorrow, for early childhood initiative, $500.
• CASA Board Volunteer Association, for volunteer initiatives, $500.
• Children’s Concert Society of Akron, for general support, $500.
• Community Outreach Resources Exchange (CORE Furniture Bank), for operations, $500.
• Cuyahoga Valley Art Center, for CVYP on Tour and Reach Out and Dance programs, $500.
•Ballet Excel Ohio (formerly the Cuyahoga Valley Youth Ballet, for room dividers, $500.
• Elves & More of Northeast Ohio, for its bicycle program, $500.
• First Book – Greater Akron Chapter, for Ready and Reading program,$500.
• First Glance Student Center, for expenses,$500.
• Friends of Historic Glendale Cemetery, for Committal Service Shelter construction, $500.
• Goodwill Industries of Akron Inc., for general support, $1,500.
• Habitat for Humanity of Summit County, for general support, $1,500.
• Interval Brotherhood Homes Addiction Recovery Center, for program support, $1,500.
• Invent Now, for Summit County Camp Invention scholarships, $500.
• Junior Achievement of North Central Ohio, for programming for Summit County students, $500.
• Kylie Jane Long Foundation, for family support program, $500.
• Leadership Akron, for general support, $500.
• Let’s Grow Akron, Inc., for general operating expenses, $500.
• Loyola Retreat House, Inc., for replacement of computer network, $500.
• Magical Theatre Company, for operations, $500.
• Musical Arts Association, for its Blossom Festival, $500.
• Opportunity Parish Ecumenical Neighborhood-Ministry (OPEN-M), for its Free Clinic, $1,500.
• Our Lady of the Elms, for athletic complex restoration project, $500.
• Pegasus Farm, for equine-assisted therapy for special-needs children, $500.
• Portage Path Behavioral Health, for its Arts & Minds art therapy project, $500.
• Porthouse Theatre, for ventilation cooling system, $500.
• RMH of Akron Inc. (Ronald McDonald House), for operations, $1,500.
• Rape Crisis Center, for updated stationery, $500.
• St. Paul Elementary School, for playground construction, $500.
• Tuesday Musical Association, for 2013-2014 concert series, $500.
• Twinsburg City School District, for Project STAR reading program, $500.
• University of Akron Foundation, for the School of Law-Joseph G. Miller and William C. Becker Center for Professional Responsibility symposium, $750.
• Victim Assistance Program, for 24-hour crisis response program, $500.
• Victory Gallop Inc., for road paving, $500.
• Western Reserve Historical Society (Hale Farm and Village), for educational programming, $500.
• Akron Area YMCA, for Partners with Youth/Camp Y-Noah scholarships,$500.
• Youth Excellence Performing Arts Workshop (YEPAW), for summer intensive workshop, $500.
For more information about the foundation, contact Brenda J. Moubray, FirstMerit Bank, 106 S. Main St., Fifth Floor-TOW 23, Akron, OH 44308; 330-384-7301; firstname.lastname@example.org.