Events in Towpath Trail celebration
On Saturday, Summit County will celebrate the completion of 41.1 miles of the Ohio & Erie Canal Towpath Trail within the county from border to border.
Anyone participating in one of 11 events during the day along the trail will get free tickets to an 8:30 p.m. concert by the Guthrie Family Reunion with Arlo Guthrie and his children at Lock 3 Park in downtown Akron. Also performing will be Hey Mavis at 7 p.m. The ceremonies get under way at 6 p.m.
Here are the daytime events:
• Towpath Freedom 5-kilometer (3.1-mile) Run and a 1-mile fun run for youngsters. The fun run begins at 8:30 a.m. at Lock 3 Park. Registration opens at 7:30 a.m. The Lockheed Martin Towpath Freedom 5K begins at 9 a.m. at Lock 3. Registration is $25 in advance. It closes July 5. It is $30 the day of the race. Registration opens at 7 a.m.
• Barberton history walk, from 9 to 11:30 a.m. Meet at 5 Fairview Ave., Barberton.
• Meet the Paw Patrol in the Cuyahoga Valley National Park. From noon to 5 p.m. at the Ira Trailhead off Riverview Road north of Ira Road in Cuyahoga Falls.
• Wildlife watching, from noon to 5 p.m. at the Beaver Marsh in the Cuyahoga Valley. Accessible from the Ira Trailhead in Cuyahoga Falls.
• Try on clothes from Ohio’s canal era from 1 to 3 p.m. at the Hunt Farm Visitor Information Center in the Cuyahoga Valley. It’s off Bolanz Road in Cuyahoga Falls.
• Cuyahoga River water quality. Learn about stream water quality and volunteer options from 1 to 3 p.m. at Lock 29 in Peninsula.
• Art exhibit From Sea to Shining Sea from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.; at the MD Garage off Boston Mills Road in Boston Township.
• Old-time music by David Rice from 1 to 3 p.m.. at the Boston Store Visitor Center off Boston Mills Road in Boston Township.
• Meet shopkeeper Emma Mustill from 1 to 3 p.m. at the Mustill Store off West North Street near downtown Akron. Take a guided hike to the old Schumacher mill site.
• Family fun from 1 to 3 p.m. at the Richard Howe House, 47 W. Exchange St. Enjoy sundaes, decorate bandanas or take a family quest.
• Visit the Akron History Exhibit at American Toy & Marble Museum at Lock 3 Park from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. and from 6 to 8 p.m.
— Bob Downing