Here is a list of road and lane closings in the Akron area.
Major highways abruptly closed: None.
Other road construction:
• South Main Street, from Waterloo Road to Swartz Road: Road reconstruction and replacement of the bridge over Brewster Creek. The project includes widening for an exclusive left turn lane at Waterloo Road for northbound traffic, upgrading traffic signals, relocating utilities underground and upgrading street lighting and storm sewers. It will continue for about one year.
• Akron Innerbelt lane restrictions: The entrance ramp from West Exchange Street/Dart Avenue to state Route 59 northbound (Akron Innerbelt) will close until early August for bridge painting. The detour is north on Dart Avenue to the entrance ramp to Route 59 northbound just north of Locust Street. The innerbelt has various lane restrictions in both directions to paint five bridges between West Market Street and Interstate 76/Interstate 77 until late October.
• Triplett Boulevard/Wilbeth Road and Massillon Road lane restrictions: State Route 764 (Triplett Boulevard/Wilbeth Road) from Massillon Road to Brown Street will have various lane restrictions for resurfacing. Massillon Road and George Washington Boulevard from the southern Akron city limits to state Route 764 will also have lane restrictions for resurfacing. The entire project is scheduled to be complete by mid-August.
• Abington Road closing to traffic: Between Triplett Boulevard and Wedgewood Avenue to replace the deck on the bridge over Springfield Lake Outlet. Local traffic will be maintained north and south of the bridge. Access for local traffic over the bridge will not be permitted. A detour will be posted. The road will reopen by the end of August.
• White Pond Drive, from Mull Avenue to the railroad tracks: Closed to all but local and emergency traffic until August for reconstruction of the roadbed and installation of a new signalized intersection south of the tracks. A detour is posted.
• North Portage Path, from Barcelona Drive to Treaty Line Road: Closed for road reconstruction until mid-September. Traffic is detoured via Merriman Road and Memorial Parkway.
• East Market Street, from South Arlington Street to Prospect Street: Daily lane restrictions for resurfacing. This is the beginning of a project to resurface East Market Street from Arlington Street to the Akron Innerbelt until late July.
• East Market Street, from Martha Avenue east to I-76: Reduced to one lane in each direction through mid-summer for widening and reconstruction. The project is scheduled to be completed in late October.
• Cedar Street, from South Main Street to South High Street: Lane reduction for entire block to allow for construction activities until spring of 2009.
• Manchester Road and Copley Road lane restrictions: Manchester Road from Thornton Street to East Avenue and Copley Road from Mercer Avenue to Rand Avenue will have various lane restrictions for resurfacing. The project is scheduled to be completed in late July.
• North Howard Street, from Cuyahoga Street to Cuyahoga Falls Avenue: Closed for construction of new curbs, gutters and road surface. Through traffic will be eliminated but North Howard will be open for local access. Detour signs will direct motorists to businesses and St. Thomas Hospital. The road will remain closed until late in July.
• Dart Avenue, from Mill Street to West Market Street: Closed until fall for construction of an addition to the Superblock Parking Deck (at FirstEnergy building). A short portion of Dart Avenue will remain open for deliveries. Access to the parking deck from Mill Street will continue.
• Brown Street, between Thornton and East Exchange streets: Closed for road reconstruction until August 24. A detour is posted.
Elsewhere in Summit County:
• South Main Street, from Swartz Road to Althea Avenue in Coventry Township: Road widening and bridge replacement over the Tuscarawas River. Includes an exclusive right turn lane for soutbound traffic turning onto North Turkeyfoot Road from South Main Street. The roadway will be widened to provide two through lanes for southbound traffic on South Main, and one through lane and a combined through/turn lane for northbound traffic. There will also be improvements to Swartz and North Turkeyfoot roads for added turn lanes. The project will continue for about one year.
• Interstate 77 widening and repaving: The project to add a third lane between Copley Road and state Route 18 continues, including construction of noise walls and improvements to bridges and ramps. I-77 northbound from Copley Road to Ridgewood Road will have lane restrictions all week from 8 p.m. until 6 a.m. State Route 21 northbound, just south of the I-77 split, will have lane restrictions from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. daily. Cleveland-Massillon Road under I-77 will be reduced to one lane in each direction daily from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. The entire project is to be completed by late October.
• Interstate 271 in Boston Township: The southbound lanes of I-271 over the Cuyahoga River have daily intermittent rolling road blocks for the unloading of steel bridge beams. These will occur from 7 a.m. to 3 p.m. daily for the next few weeks. Delays can be expected. I-271 over the Cuyahoga River is reduced to one lane in each direction during off-peak hours. The entire project to replace the twin bridges will be completed by late fall 2009.
• I-271 and state Route 8 in Boston Heights, Hudson, Macedonia and Northfield Center Township: Route 8 traffic is using the new northbound section. The speed limit for Route 8 from Hines Hill Road to I-271 is now posted at 40 miles per hour in both directions. Route 8 under I-271 will have various closings from 7 p.m. today until 5 a.m. Saturday.
• State Route 8 and Steels Corners Road in Stow: Route 8 currently is reduced to two lanes in each direction at Steels Corners Road. This is part of a project to widen and reconstruct Steels Corners Road from the Route 8 interchange to the intersection with Allen Road and Hudson Drive. It is to be completed by late September 2009.
• Twinsburg Road at state Route 8 in Northfield Center Township: Closed until late fall 2009. This work is part of the $91 million project to reconstruct Route 8 from just south of Twinsburg Road to just north of the I-271 interchange. Five bridges will be constructed. The ramps will be improved. New two-lane ramps will be built to get onto I-271 from Route 8 northbound and to Route 8 southbound from I-271 southbound. Included is a new service road from Hines Hill Road. The project is to be completed by late summer 2010.
• I-480 in Twinsburg and Macedonia: I-480 from the Cuyahoga County line to west of state Route 82 will have nightly lane restrictions in both directions through the end of July. Chamberlin Road and Bedford Road under I-480 will have daily lane restrictions. Traffic will be maintained with flaggers.
• State Route 82 road work in Macedonia: Route 82 at Valley View Road will be reduced to one lane with two-way traffic maintained by flaggers Sunday through Thursday from 8 p.m. until 6 a.m. through late July. One lane of traffic in each direction will be maintained throughout the majority of the project until fall 2009. The work will widen Route 82 to five lanes from South Bedford Road to just east of Crow Drive with the replacement of a railroad bridge. North Bedford Road/East Valley View Road at Route 82 will be closed until early October for reconstruction and widening. A detour is posted.
• I-71 and I-76 in Medina County: Major reconstruction and widening of I-71, including addition of a third lane in each direction from one-half mile north of Leroy Road to one mile north of the I-76 interchange. Included are major modifications to the I-71/I-76 interchange. Two lanes of traffic will be maintained in each direction but there may be single-lane closings during non-peak hours. The project is scheduled to be completed in the summer of 2010.
I-76 will be restricted to one lane of traffic in each direction from 7 a.m. to 3 p.m. daily through today near its interchange with I-71.
• State Route 18 widening and reconstruction: Route 18, between Windfall Road and the Summit County line, has intermittent single-lane closings as part of finalization work for the project. One lane of traffic will be maintained in each direction with a center turn lane until sometime in July.
• State Route 303 lane restrictions in Medina County: Between the Lorain County line and Summit County line, there will be intermittent single-lane closings for a surfacing project. One lane of two-way traffic will be maintained at all times with flaggers. The work will be completed by mid-August.
• State Route 3 closing in Guilford Township: Between Kennard Road and Blake Road for a bridge deck overlay and structure maintenance work. It will reopen July 25. A detour will be posted.
• Marks Road closing on border of York/Medina townships: At the intersection of Spieth Road for improvement of the intersection until mid-August.
• Chippewa Road closing in Lafayette Township: Between Vandemark and Lafayette roads Monday through Wednesday for culvert replacement.
• Spieth Road closing in Litchfield Township: Between Beat and Erhart roads on Monday for culvert replacement.
• State Route 14 lane restrictions: From state Route 88 to the Streetsboro eastern city limits there will be various nighttime lane restrictions for resurfacing. Traffic will be maintained with flaggers. The entire project is scheduled to be complete by September.
• I-77 widening and reconstruction in Canton: I-77 from the U.S. 30 interchange to the U.S. 62 interchange will have nightly one-lane conditions for paving work. This is part of the project to widen and reconstruct I-77 from Tuscarawas Street West to 13th Street. The entire project is scheduled to be complete by late August.
• State Route 173 closing: Just west of U.S. 62 until mid-July for bridge work. The detour is U.S. 62 to state Route 44. This is the beginning of a resurfacing and bridge work project expected to be complete by late October.
• State Route 21 lane restrictions: Route 21 over the Tuscarawas River is reduced to one lane in each direction as part of a $10.2 million project to resurface Route 21 from the Massillon southern corporation limit to Finefrock Road and from the Massillon northern corporation limit to the Lawrence Township line. The project also includes the redecking and painting of the twin bridges on Route 21 over the Tuscarawas River.
• Fulton Drive and Wales Avenue lane restrictions in Jackson Township: The intersection of Fulton Drive and Wales Avenue has various lane restrictions for intersection reconstruction and widening. The entire project is scheduled to be completed by October 2009.
• State Route 43 lane restrictions: Route 43 from the Portage County line south to state Route 619 will have various lane restrictions for resurfacing and bridge work until the end of July.
• State Route 212 closed in Bethlehem Township: The bridge over the Tuscarawas River is closed through late August for bridge re-decking.
• State Route 21 in Chippewa Township: At its intersection with Eastern Road, there will be intermittent single-lane closings of short duration in both directions for traffic signal upgrades. This is part of an intersection improvement and safety project scheduled to be completed by the end of July. One through lane and left-turn lane will be maintained at all times in both directions.
• State Route 94 lane restrictions: Between state Route 241 and U.S. 30, Route 94 will be restricted to one lane of two-way traffic for a resurfacing project. The work will be completed by late August.
Elsewhere in Northeast Ohio:
• I-77, additional lane in Brecksville, Broadview Heights and Independence: The left lane of I-77 northbound between Pleasant Valley and Rockside roads will be closed from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. weekdays to allow for deliveries in the work area. The Rockside Road eastbound ramp to I-77 northbound and I-77 southbound ramp to Pleasant Valley are both restricted to one narrow lane, as is the I-77 southbound ramp to Wallings Road. The right lane of Rockside Road westbound under I-77 will remain closed for bridge work.
• I-480 rehabilitation and I-77/I-480 ramp improvements in Independence: Work on the eastbound lanes between Tuxedo Avenue and the Valley View Bridge continues. Traffic is currently shifted toward the center median as work takes place on the south side of I-480. All lanes and ramps are expected to remain open during peak hours as the project continues until November.
• I-271 resurfacing in Bedford and Bedford Heights: There will be work daily and nightly to resurface a portion of the road. It is starting in the southbound lanes between Columbus and Forbes roads. Overnight, double lane closings may occur. The entire project will resurface I-271 between the Summit County line and Columbus Road and is expected to be completed in June 2009.
Traffic planners: Please fax traffic updates to 330-376-9235.