Twenty-one school tax issues are on the November ballot.
Six schools — Cloverleaf, Canton Local, Fairless, Marlington, Mogadore and Field — are again seeking additional revenue after similar issues failed earlier this year.
Statewide, school issues account for 195 of the 1,677 local issues on the Nov. 5 ballot, with 59 percent of school levy issues asking voters to approve new money. Locally, 62 percent of the 21 measures call for additional taxes.
Two of those issues in Canton Local and Norton ask voters to approve local funds to be collected over 30 or more years to draw a state dollar match to construct new schools.
The Canton measure — a 30-year, 8-mill construction project — narrowly failed in May by 26 votes, or less than 1 percent of all voters.
Canton Local’s bond issue would raise $36 million to construct a new Canton South High School and make minor renovations to the elementary and middle schools.
Norton voters will be asked to approve a $22.8 million bond issue at 3.89 mills, to be collected over 36 years. The measure would fund the construction of a new high school, stadium, auditorium and other improvements.
All additional tax levies passed this November are subject to the elimination in the recent state budget of a 12.5 percent property tax rollback, created in the 1970s to ease the burden for local taxpayers by offering matching state funds.
The following is a list of all local school tax issues facing voters on Nov. 5:
(Southern portion of county)
• Brecksville-Broadview Heights — Continuing 6.4-mill renewal levy.
• Independence — 10-year, 9.4-mill renewal levy.
• North Royalton — 35-year, $49.8 million bond issue.
• Solon — Continuing 0.8-mill additional levy.
• Brunswick — two-year, 4.9-mill additional levy.
• Cloverleaf — 10-year, 8.3-mill additional levy.
• Medina — two-year, 5.9-mill additional levy.
• Field — three-year combined 5.5-mill additional levy.
• James A. Garfield — five-year, 5.51-mill renewal levy.
• Ravenna — 4.9-mill continuing, additional levy.
• Streetsboro — 0.5-mill permanent improvement levy.
• Windham — five-year, 3.95-mill renewal levy.
• Manchester — five-year, 5.99-mill additional levy.
• Mogadore — 5.9-mill continuing, additional levy.
• Norton — 36-year, 3.89-mill bond issue.
• Tallmadge — 10-year, 7.55-mill renewal levy.
• Twinsburg — five-year, 6.9-mill renewal levy.
• Canton Local — 30-year, 8-mill construction and renovation bond issue.
• Fairless — eight-year, 8.9-mill additional levy.
• Marlington — Continuous, 2-mill renewal levy.
• Massillon — five-year, 8.1-mill renewal levy.
• Osnaburg — Continuous, 5.9-mil additional levy.
• Perry — five-year, 13.1-mill renewal levy.
• Hillsdale — five-year, 0.75-percent income tax levy.
• Northwestern — five-year, 2.8-mill renewal levy.
Doug Livingston can be reached at 330-996-3792 or email@example.com.