In November, a number of Northeast Ohio institutions sent representatives to a daylong summit that focused on the region’s heroin epidemic.
As a result, a Community Action Plan was devised covering prevention and intervention, health care, law enforcement and treatment.
Among the recommendations:
• Educating citizens on the dangers of heroin use.
• Prioritizing heroin overdose as a public health threat.
• Advocating for legislation.
• Educating medical providers on opiate use.
• Providing funding for programs, use of Naloxone to first responders.
• Stricter guidelines on opiate prescriptions.
• Better data-sharing of opiate medicine.
• Focusing law enforcement efforts on addiction intervention.
• Greater priority on heroin-related death investigations.
• Better training to recognize addiction disease.
• Increasing use of electronic health records, databases.