By Deb Riechmann
and Bradley Klapper
WASHINGTON: The Obama administration, undertaking a major review of U.S. relations with Egypt, edged closer to a decision Tuesday about curtailing some of America’s $1.5 billion in annual aid after the Egyptian military’s crackdown on supporters of ousted President Mohammed Morsi.
Top administration officials met at the White House to review the possibility of cutting military or economic aid to Egypt, a longtime U.S. ally and the most populous nation in the Arab world. Some cuts are forthcoming, according to U.S. officials, speaking on condition of anonymity because they weren’t authorized to talk publicly about the sensitive discussions.
Tensions in Egypt have soared since the army ousted Morsi, who was the nation’s first freely elected president. The July 3 coup followed days of protests by millions of Egyptians demanding that Morsi, who hails from the Islamist Muslim Brotherhood, step down. Some 1,000 people have been killed in ensuing violence.
The U.S. is in a bind. While it wants to continue aiding Egypt to maintain ties with the military-run government and assert its influence in the region, the Obama administration and lawmakers do not want to appear to be condoning the bloody crackdown. To express its displeasure, the U.S. suspended the delivery of four F-16 fighter jets to Egypt and canceled biennial U.S.-Egyptian military exercises planned for next month.
In canceling the military exercises, President Barack Obama said that America’s traditional cooperation with Egypt “cannot continue as usual” while violence and instability deepen.
The administration now is deciding what it wants U.S. engagement in Egypt to look like and what, if any, aid, should be cut. Congress, meanwhile, appears split on whether to suspend the aid, with some saying that would deprive Washington of leverage over those in power in Cairo.
So far, Obama has opted against any swift reaction, insisting it would not serve U.S. national interests to suddenly eliminate funding for operations that cover everything from fighting al-Qaida in the heart of the Middle East and safeguarding the stability of the Suez Canal to halting weapons flow to the Hamas-ruled Gaza Strip and ensuring Israel’s security.
For weeks the administration has said it won’t characterize the military’s takeover of the Egyptian government as a coup d’etat.
Such a determination would not only make it appear that the U.S. was taking sides in the internal conflict, but it also would, under U.S. law, trigger an automatic suspension of most aid programs.
However, while the administration has not declared Egypt’s military takeover a coup, officials are essentially treating it as such internally and are reviewing aid under the guidelines that govern such a determination, a U.S. official said. Stopping short of making a formal declaration gives the U.S. flexibility in what aid it might cut off, the official said. It also would make it easier to reinstate aid later.
The official spoke only on condition of anonymity because the official was not authorized to discuss the situation publicly.
The money is significant. Between 1948 and 2011, the U.S. provided Egypt with $71.6 billion in bilateral aid, according to a June report issued by the Congressional Research Service.
European Union foreign ministers will hold an emergency meeting today in Brussels to forge a joint response to the recent violence in Egypt with discussions expected on proposals to halt aid programs and suspend arms shipments.