CONAKRY, Guinea: Health workers in protective hazmat suits treated patients in quarantine centers on Tuesday in a remote corner of Guinea where Ebola has killed at least 60 people in West Africa’s first outbreak of the deadly virus in two decades.
Seven patients are being hospitalized at one isolation ward in Gueckedou in southern Guinea, while two others are being treated elsewhere, said Doctors Without Borders. The aid group said it is sending mobile teams into the surrounding countryside in search of people who may have been exposed since the first cases emerged last week.
“To confine the epidemic, it is critical to trace the entire transmission chain,” said Dr. Esther Sterk, a tropical medicine adviser for the medical group. “All individuals who have had contact with patients who may be contaminated are monitored and isolated at the first sign of infection.”
Six of the seven blood samples sent to France from Guinea had tested positive for Ebola, specifically the Zaire strain of the disease originating from Congo which has up to a 90 percent fatality rate, the World Health Organization said Tuesday.
Ebola has no vaccine or specific treatment. Once the virus has caused hemorrhaging, victims can start vomiting blood or bleeding from their nose and gums.
Some 1,500 cases recorded since 1976 have been fatal.