All CATEGORIES
☰ Menu


World news briefs — compiled Sept. 15

Print
Add This

COLOMBIA

6 killed in bar stampede

Authorities said six people died from suffocation or being crushed during a stampede from a crowded bar that police raided. Federal prosecutors were investigating whether police used excessive force. Witnesses told local media that officers sprayed pepper gas when they entered the bar early Sunday, causing the approximately about 100 people inside to join a rush to escape.

NIGERIA

4 suspects die in custody

Vigilantes helped arrest at least 11 members of the Islamic sect in Nigeria’s northeast and four of the suspects died in custody, a military official said Sunday. The Boko Haram members were arrested Saturday in the town of Michika in Adamawa state, said Lt. Col. Beyidi Martins, the commanding officer of the battalion meant to help capture those in the Islamic sect. The official said the suspects were beaten by the vigilantes beacuse they resisted arrest.

EGYPT

Booby traps line border

The Egyptian army has discovered a network of booby traps along its border with the Gaza Strip, a military spokesman said Sunday, as he criticized the Palestinian territory’s Hamas rulers for poorly controlling their side of the border and urged them to reign in militant groups operating there. The accusations, made in a news conference explaining the military’s ongoing offensive in the volatile northern Sinai area, were a rare public criticism of the Palestinian militant group by the military since the July ouster of Islamist President Mohammed Morsi in a coup.

ROMANIA

Thousands protest mining

Thousands marched through Bucharest to protest a controversial plan by a Canadian company to build Europe’s biggest gold mine in Romania. Protesters on Sunday criticized the use of cyanide in the extraction process and accused authorities of trying to sell off Romania’s assets too cheaply. The mine has drawn widespread protests in recent weeks. Supporters say the mine would bring jobs and investment to a deprived area. Last week, Prime Minister Victor Ponta predicted Parliament would reject plans for the Canadian-run mine.

Compiled from wire reports.


Print
Add This


MORE IN NEWS MORE IN NEWS >
EDITORS' PICKS

OHIO.COM VIDEOS

Most Read Stories