Akron

 



Free Site Subscriptions

Subscribe by RSS

Subscribe by Email


Pets Blog

Dogs Can Be Electrocuted During Walks

By Leighangela Published: January 4, 2011

Stray voltage near conductive objects like light poles and manhole covers have been identified as the culprit behind shocks and electrocutions of dogs out for their morning strolls. Stray voltage can occur when wires fray over time or aren't properly insulated, and salt spread during winter months assists with conduction to a dog's paws via moisture and slush.

Pedestrians are also at risk, as electric current may travel through leashes to the person walking the dog.

The problem has been a growing concern in New York City, and a website was created so that pedestrians can report trouble spots.

[Click to read the full story...]

Leigh Peterson is a freelance writer and virtual assistant in Stow.
She also owns the pet-lovers gift shop GoFetchGifts.com

Print
Add This
  |



Stories via email

Sign up to receive a daily email containing new posts published on pets.ohio.com.

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner


Pet Events
Add your pet-related event