Approximately 4 million cats end up in shelters every year.
Each year, thousands of kittens are born during spring and summer -- and many end up in animal shelters, waiting for loving homes. To promote adoptions of these playful, affectionate animals, American Humane celebrates Adopt-A-Cat Month in June.
Adopt a cat from your local shelter today. Adopting a cat will enrich your world in so many different ways. Here’s how:
- Cats will keep you entertained with their playful antics.
- Cats are very affectionate and love to cuddle with you.
- Having a cat can reduce your blood pressure and prevent heart disease.
- Cats are very clean -- they bathe themselves!
- Cats are independent and can be left alone while you are at work.
- Cats do not need to be housebroken -- using the litter box comes naturally to them.
- Cats do not need a lot of space. They are perfect pets for apartments and smaller homes.
- Taking care of a cat can help teach a child responsibility and humane values.
- Cats get plenty of exercise living indoors. Just 15 minutes of playtime each day will satisfy a cat.
- Approximately 4 million homeless cats end up in animal shelters every year in the United States. By adopting, you’ll be saving a life.
- 2014 (21)
- 2013 (135)
- 2012 (353)
- 2011 (380)
- 2010 (415)
- 2009 (776)
- 2008 (2)