The American Humane Society offers several tips to help you decide if you're ready to take the plunge.
The American Humane Association can help you decide whether you could be the "perfect dog owner."
You may be the perfect dog owner if you:
- Think caring for a dog for 15 years does not seem like a lifetime;
- Look forward to big, wet kisses when you come home each day;
- Like sharing your house with someone who sheds, tracks dirt occasionally and possibly drools;
- Don't mind sharing your house with a roomie who doesn't clean up after itself;
- Want to take care of someone every day;
- Don't mind spending money on pet food, toys, veterinary care, chew toys and more;
- Want someone to adore you even on a bad-hair day;
- Think spaying and neutering pets will help solve the pet overpopulation problem;
- Can't imagine leaving your devoted pet behind when you move;
- Want to keep an ID tag and microchip on your pets so they can always get back to you no matter what;
- Enjoy unconditional love and constant companionship.
- 2013 (65)
- 2012 (353)
- 2011 (380)
- 2010 (415)
- 2009 (776)
- 2008 (2)
Stories via email
Sign up to receive a daily email containing new posts published on pets.ohio.com.