1. The Browns are hoping to snap their two-game losing streak today when they host the Seattle Seahawks, but they will have to do it without at least one starter and perhaps a couple more. Strongside linebacker Scott Fujita has been ruled out with a concussion he suffered last week against the Oakland Raiders. Running back Peyton Hillis (hamstring) missed practice all week and cornerback Joe Haden (knee) only practiced on Friday. Both are listed as questionable on the team’s injury report.
2. Browns President Mike Holmgren will reunite with his former team. Holmgren coached the Seahawks for 10 seasons (1999-2008) and served as their general manger for four (1999-2002). He guided them to Super Bowl XL during the 2005 season. Gil Haskell, Holmgren’s senior adviser, served as the Seahawks’ offensive coordinator from 2000-08.
3. Seahawks starting quarterback Tarvaris Jackson is doubtful with a high-grade pectoral strain. With Jackson ailing, backup quarterback Charlie Whitehurst is expected to start. He is 1-1 as a starter in the NFL. The Seahawks, who are coming off a bye, are 11-5 against the Browns. In the most recent meeting between the two teams Nov. 4, 2007, the Browns prevailed 33-30 in overtime at home.
4. Browns coach Pat Shurmur knows the Seahawks well. Shurmur was the offensive coordinator of the St. Louis Rams last season when they failed to score a touchdown in a 16-6 loss to the Seahawks in Week 17. The NFC West title and a playoff berth were at stake, and Whitehurst started for the Seahawks.
5. Other Browns-Seahawks connections: Browns senior defensive assistant Ray Rhodes served as the Seahawks’ defensive coordinator (2003-05) and special projects/defensive coach (2006-07). … Browns defensive line coach Dwaine Board held the same position with the Seahawks (2003-08). … Browns offensive assistant Chris Beake was a quality control coach, an offensive/special teams assistant for the Seahawks (2008-09). … Browns senior offensive assistant Keith Gilbertson spent seven seasons (1996-98, 2005-08) with the Seahawks in various roles, including defensive assistant, tight ends coach and wide receivers coach. … Browns backup quarterback Seneca Wallace (2003-09) and backup center Steve Vallos (2008-09) played for the Seahawks. … Seahawks quarterbacks coach Carl Smith had the same job with the Browns (2001-03, 2009-10). Northeast Ohio connections: Seahawks defensive end Jameson Konz (knee), who’s on injured reserve, was a standout at Lake High School and Kent State University. … Seahawks running backs coach Sherman Smith is a Youngstown native.