Justin Lower of Malone University and Northwest High School has earned an exemption to participate in the Reno-Tahoe Open, a PGA Tour event held July 29-Aug. 4 at Montreux Golf & Country Club in Reno, Nevada.
He earned the spot by being the money leader on the National Golf Association Professional Golf Tour midway through the season.
• The University of Akron’s women’s golf team finished in the top 15 in the nation in team grade-point average for a third consecutive season, with a 2012-13 mark of 3.654.
The GPA leaves the team 14th in the nation after finishing fourth last year and 10th the year before that.
UA is one of just three programs to appear in the top 15 each of the past three seasons, joining Lee University and Otterbein University.
• The 2013-14 University of Akron women’s golf schedule was announced. It will kick off with a Golfweek Program Challenge at Pawleys Island, S.C., on Sept. 8-10.
In addition, the first MAC Match Play event in Lakewood Ranch, Fla., is scheduled for Feb. 3.
• The 2013-14 University of Akron men’s golf schedule also was announced. The men will join the women at the Golfweek Program Challenge at Pawleys Island, S.C.
The Zips will participate in four fall events, including the Firestone Invitational Oct. 7-8.
• Kent State University’s Sept. 14 game at LSU will kick off at 7 p.m. and will be televised on either ESPN, ESPN2 or ESPNU.
The game will be replayed the following day on Cox Sports Television at 7 p.m.
• Dri Archer and Roosevelt Nix will represent Kent State at MAC media day Tuesday at Ford Field in Detroit.
MAC football media day will be shown live nationally on ESPN3.
University of Akron softball coach Julie Jones announced that Sara Pearson and Chelsea Wildey will join the program as junior transfers for the 2013-14 season.
Pearson, a right-handed pitcher and outfielder, comes from the University of Memphis where she appeared in 71 games and started 46.
She had 15 hits and a home run and also won two games in six starts in the circle.
Wildey joins the Zips after a successful junior college career at the State College of Florida where she played shortstop and third base.
As a sophomore in 2013, she hit .368 with 11 doubles and four home runs.
University of Akron coach Jared Embick announced that English winger Sam Gainford has signed a national letter of intent to play for the Zips in the fall.
Gainford played forward and attacking midfield for Liverpool Academy’s Under-18 team, where he trained since he was 10 years old.
He has also competed in several NextGen Series games for Liverpool U-21.
He is expected to play forward for UA.