Even though the NFL’s new rule for postseason overtime has never come into play, it’s being expanded for the regular season, too.
NFL owners passed the playoff overtime rule for the regular schedule Wednesday in Palm Beach, Fla. All games that go into overtime now cannot end on a field goal on the first possession.
The opposing team must get one series, and if it also kicks a field goal, the extra period continues. Of course, if it fails to score it loses, and if it gets a touchdown, it wins.
The rule has not been a factor since it was instituted in 2010, with only two playoff games going to OT. One ended on the first play, Tim Tebow’s 80-yard touchdown pass to Demaryius Thomas for a Denver victory over Pittsburgh. The other had several possessions for each team before the Giants beat the 49ers in the NFC title game this season.
The vote on adopting the new overtime rule was 30-2.
Owners also have given the replay official permission to review turnovers just as he reviews all scoring plays.
Other rules changes: A team will lose a down for illegally kicking a loose ball; too many men on the field becomes a dead-ball foul; and a player receiving a crackback block is now considered a defenseless player and the hit will result in a 15-yard penalty.
Not passed were proposals to have the booth official handle video reviews rather than the referee, and outlawing the horse-collar tackle made on quarterbacks in the pocket.
Coaches to tackle bounties
NFL coaches plan to go right at the league’s most sensitive subject — bounties — when they get together with players next month.
Although a few shied away from commenting at owners meetings this week about the New Orleans Saints’ extra payments, under which players were rewarded for big hits on specific opponents, most coaches said it’s an important subject to address — with the media and with their players.
“The whole league will talk about it,” Giants coach Tom Coughlin said. “The commissioner wants the entire league to make sure it’s discussed — to go forward using it as an example, to stress there is no place for that in our league.”
Buccaneers retain Barber
Cornerback Ronde Barber is returning to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers for his 16th season.
Barber signed a one-year contract to come back to the only team he’s played for. He started 16 games last season for the Bucs, starting every game since Week 10 in 1999 — the longest active streak in the NFL. Barber has 43 career interceptions and 27 career sacks, making him the only player in NFL history with 40 or more picks and 25 or more sacks.
Tampa Bay also re-signed restricted free agent tackle Demar Dotson to a two-year contract.
A financial adviser and her lover face wire fraud charges in Los Angeles for allegedly swindling $2.2 million from Indianapolis Colts defensive end Dwight Freeney.
Eva Weinberg of Los Angeles and Michael Stern of Miami were arrested by FBI agents who believe they were trying to flee the United States.
An FBI affidavit says about $2.2 million was wired from Freeney’s account by Weinberg, his financial manager, to a company owned by Stern between June 2010 and last October unbeknownst to Freeney.
Jacobs to join 49ers
Running back Brandon Jacobs and the San Francisco 49ers agreed to terms on a one-year deal.
Jacobs was released March 9 by the New York Giants after he failed to reach agreement on a restructured deal.
He is expected to play behind Frank Gore and could share the backup role with Kendall Hunter.
Jacobs, 29, spent seven seasons with New York, winning two Super Bowls. He ran for 571 yards and seven touchdowns last season as a backup to Ahmad Bradshaw.
Vikings sign receiver
The Minnesota Vikings re-signed receiver Devin Aromashodu to a one-year deal.
In his first season with the Vikings last year, Aromashodu caught 26 passes for 468 yards and three touchdowns. He signed with the Vikings after three seasons in Chicago and was one of the team’s best blocking receivers.