Alex Cocklin had 18 kills and Morgan Kuhn had 37 assists as the University of Akron volleyball team defeated Kent State in straight sets Friday night at Rhodes Arena.
The Zips (16-11, 9-6 MAC) cruised to a 25-12 win in the first set and a 25-17 win in the second set before putting away the Golden Flashes (6-21, 3-12) for the second time this season with a 25-21 win in the third set.
Akron will host Ohio at 5 tonight. The Zips will honor seniors Tina Dimitrijevs, Chelsea Harvey, Morgan Kuhn, Janine Lawler and Paiton Twitty as a part of Senior Night.
The University of Akron men’s and women’s cross country teams finished in 11th and 18th place, respectively, and the Kent State men’s and women’s teams finished in 18th and 20th place, respectively, as both schools competed in the Great Lakes Regional in Madison, Wis.
Senior Michael Heller finished in 10th place overall to lead KSU’s men’s team and Kyle Cochrun’s 52nd-place finish led the UA men’s team. Kayla Whitlow led the UA women’s team with a 62nd-place finish and Alexandria Vintevoghel led KSU with a 70th-place finish.
• Capital senior Nate Nasrallah (St. Vincent-St. Mary) was named to the Capital One Academic All-District VII First Team.
Nasrallah leads the Crusaders with seven sacks and has 36 tackles and a forced fumble. He has a 3.98 GPA and is eligible for Academic All-American.
• Malone freshman Asia Harris (CVCA) was named to the All-GLIAC honorable mention team after posting an 11-8 overall record in singles and a 9-9 overall record in doubles.
Harris was the No. 1 singles player in 16 of her 19 matches and was part of the No. 3 doubles team.
• Mount Union senior defender Leo Hicks and junior midfielder Chris Felker were selected to the All-Ohio Athletic Conference men’s soccer team.
Hicks, an all-conference honorable mention last season, finished his career at Mount Union with three goals and 12 assists and had one assist this season. Felker, an All-OAC honorable mention, finished the season with three goals and three assists.
• Mount Union senior point guard Rosa LaMattina was named a D3hoops.com Preseason All-America First-Team selection. LaMattina was an All-American selection in 2011-12 and was the OAC Player of the Year, first-team All-OAC and first-team All-Great Lakes Region last season.
• Mount Union senior safety Nick Driskill was named to the 2012 Capital One Academic All-District football team and has advanced to the Academic All-America ballot.
Driskill, an exercise science major with a 3.77 GPA, was an Academic All-District last year and was a Capital One Academic All-America Second-Team selection. Driskill has 51 tackles and two forced fumbles this season for the No. 1 ranked Purple Raiders.
— Beacon Journal staff report