• Feb. 11 — The Summit Sportsmans Association, a fishing and hunting club, meets at 7:30 p.m. on the second Monday of each month at the Polish American Club, 472 E. Glenwood Ave., Akron. Guests are welcome. For more information, call Harold McAbee at 330-630-9621.
• Feb. 14 — The Goodyear Hunting & Fishing Club, 1221 Wingfoot Lake Road, Suffield Township, meets at 7:30 p.m. the second Thursday of each month. New members are welcome. For more information, call Lew Weygandt at 330-688-6507.
• Feb. 17 — The Portage-Summit Field & Stream Club, 8504 U.S. 224, Deerfield Township, meets at 2 p.m. the third Sunday of each month. Meetings are open to the public and to those interested in becoming a member. For more information, visit www.psfsclub.org or call Lew Weygandt at 330-688-6507.
• April 25-28 — The second annual Buckeye TrailFest will be held at Red Oak Camp in Kirtland. This gathering of Buckeye Trail enthusiasts, hikers and trail maintainers will feature programs, presentations and hikes in Lake and Geauga counties. Registration is $45, or $35 for Buckeye Trail Association members. For more information or to register, visit www.BuckeyeTrailFest.org.
• Today — Lenape Trail Sportsman Club, 15413 Salt Creek Road, Mount Eaton, will host protector trap shoots beginning at 6:30 p.m. For more information, call 330-695-9826.
• Today — The Bolivar Sportsman’s Club, 11286 Bolivar-Strasburg Road NW, Bolivar, hosts open trap shoots at 6:30 p.m. every Friday. For more information, call 330-874-3175.
• Today — The Lake Milton Fish & Game Club, 4375 Bedell Road, Berlin Center, hosts open and protector trap shoots at 6 p.m. every Friday. New shooters are welcome. For more information, call Dean at 330-557-4001.
• Saturday — The Edinburg Sportsman Association, 7261 Tallmadge Road, Edinburg Township, is open for trap shoots from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. All shooters are welcome. For more information, call 330-325-1733 or 330-472-7206.
• Saturday — The Copley Trap Range, 1665 Jacoby Road, Copley Township, is open for shoots from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. every Saturday. For more information, call Brad Harker at 330-855-1174 or Harvey Bechtel at 330-620-6909.
• Sunday — The North Lawrence Fish and Game Club at 15325 Lawmont St. NW, North Lawrence, hosts turkey shoots at 10 a.m. each Sunday through March 3. Shoots are traditional and Lucky X with factory barrels. There are unlimited barrel shoots with shells provided. Doors open at 8:30 a.m. and the kitchen opens at 9. Practice traps will be available. For more information, contact Jim Stallard 330-825-9150 or www.nlfg.org.
• Monday — The Edinburg Sportsman Association, 7261 Tallmadge Road, Edinburg Township, hosts trap league shoots from 6 to 9 p.m. New shooters are welcome. For more information, call 330-325-1733 or 330-472-7206.
According to the Ohio Department of Natural Resources, about one-third of Ohio’s watercraft registrations will expire March 1. Ohioans can register watercraft online, through the mail or in person. Ohio watercraft registrations are valid for three years. In 2012, Ohio had 432,817 registered watercraft. The ODNR Division of Watercraft processed a record 19,570 registration renewals online in 2012, up from the 16,635 registration e-renewals processed in 2011. The online renewal process can be performed 24 hours a day, seven days a week through Sept. 30 at www.ohiodnr.com/watercraft. Once a boat owner’s transaction is completed, a valid boat registration and decals will be sent in the mail within 10 days. The Division of Watercraft encourages boat owners to use the online registration renewal system if they are not making any changes to boat information included in their registration. The secure renewal transactions require the use of a valid credit card in addition to an ODNR Division of Watercraft assigned boat registration personal identification number. Ohio boat owners also can renew their watercraft registrations by mail through June 30 if they have no changes to information on their registration, including owner information. Ohioans also can renew watercraft registrations in person when visiting a watercraft registration agent. A listing of watercraft registration agents, which includes each of the ODNR Division of Watercraft’s 11 area office locations, fee schedules and other registration information, is available at www.ohiodnr.com/watercraft or by calling the ODNR Division of Watercraft toll-free at 877-4BOATER.
Those purchasing an Ohio hunting license for the first time must complete a hunter education course. Additionally, Ohio hunters seeking licenses in other states might be required to show proof that they completed such a course. There is no charge. For more information, call 800-WILDLIFE.
LET US KNOW
• Seeking events — If you have an outdoors event planned, please submit the information to the Beacon Journal for inclusion in the Outdoors Calendar. Minimum information needed is: type of event, date, time, place (please include an address), cost and a number to call for further information. Include a website if applicable. Please submit items by email to email@example.com or by fax at 330-996-3629.