• March 1 — The Akron Sail & Power Squadron is presenting a two-hour seminar, “Introduction to Pleasure Boating,” at Akron-Summit County Public Library, 60 S. High St., Akron. The free program begins at 6 p.m.; doors open at 5:30 p.m. The seminar will discuss resources and options available to new and experienced boaters. Local boat dealers, boat clubs, organizations and experts from the Ohio Department of Natural Resources’ Division of Watercraft will be on hand. Parking is free at the garage next to the library. For more information, call Brian Logan at 330-864-2820 or email him at firstname.lastname@example.org. Registration is recommended. The Akron Sail & Power Squadron was organized in 1939 and is an affiliate of the U.S. Power Squadron, the world’s largest private, nonprofit boating organization.
• March 16 — The Portage-Summit Field & Stream Club, 8504 U.S. 224, Deerfield Township, meets at 2 p.m. the third Sunday of each month. Meetings are open to the public and to those interested in becoming a member. For more information, visit www.psfsclub.org or call Lew Weygandt at 330-688-6507.
• Today — Lenape Trail Sportsman Club, 15413 Salt Creek Road, Mount Eaton, will host protector trap shoots at 6:30 p.m. For more information, call 330-695-9826.
• Today — The Bolivar Sportsman’s Club, 11286 Bolivar-Strasburg Road NW, Bolivar, hosts open trap shoots at 6:30 p.m. every Friday. For more information, call 330-874-3175.
• Today — The Lake Milton Fish & Game Club, 4375 Bedell Road, Berlin Center, hosts open and protector trap shoots at 6 p.m. every Friday. New shooters are welcome. For more information, call Dean at 330-557-4001.
• Saturday — The Copley Trap Range, 1665 Jacoby Road, Copley Township, is open for shoots from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. every Saturday. For more information, call Brad Harker at 330-855-1174 or Harvey Bechtel at 330-620-6909.
• March 16 — Crystal Springs Bowhunters will begin its 3-D outdoor target shoot at Deerfield Avenue Northwest just north of Marshallville Road in Canal Fulton. The 30-target shoots are open to the public. Crossbows are permitted. There will be progressive starting times with registration from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. The concession stand will be open all day. Memberships are available at $35 per family. Cost is $5 per shoot for members or $10 per shoot for nonmembers. Shooters under 15 are admitted free with a paying adult. Similar shoots will be April 27, May 18, June 22, July 20 and Aug. 17. For more information, visit www.3dshoots.com or call 330-603-3161 or 330-806-7273.
Those purchasing an Ohio hunting license for the first time must complete a hunter education course. Additionally, Ohio hunters seeking licenses in other states may be required to show proof that they completed such a course. There is no charge. For more information, call 800-WILDLIFE.
LET US KNOW
• Seeking events — If you have an outdoors event planned, please submit the information to the Beacon Journal for inclusion in the Outdoors Calendar. Minimum information needed is: type of event, date, time, place (please include an address), cost and a number to call for further information. Include a website if applicable. Please submit items by email to email@example.com or by fax at 330-996-3629.