• May 9 — The Goodyear Hunting & Fishing Club, 1221 Wingfoot Lake Road (at the intersection of State Route 43 & Wingfoot Lake Road), Suffield Township, holds its meetings the second Thursday of each month. The meeting begins at 7:30 p.m. New members are welcome. Contact: Lew Weygandt at 330-688-6507.
• May 11 — The Port-Summit Rotary Club is holding a bass tournament on the Portage Lakes. The entry fee is $75 per boat. Over $2,000 in prizes. The tournament begins at 7 a.m. and ends at 3 p.m. For more information or to register online, go to porsumro.org or call 330-819-1018.
• May 11 and 25 — Ohio Fly Fishing Excursions in conjunction with the Stark County Park District, will be holding two beginner fly fishing classes. Each class is from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. and will be held at the Sippo Lake Marina, 5300 Tyner St. NW, Canton. The cost is $65 per session and includes equipment. For more information, call 330-456-8731.
• May 13 — The Summit Sportsman’s Association, a fishing and hunting club, meets at 7:30 p.m. on the second Monday of each month at the Polish American Club, 472 E. Glenwood Ave., Akron. Guests are welcome. For more information, call Harold McAbee at 330-630-9621.
• May 19 — The Portage-Summit Field & Stream Club, 8504 U.S. 224, Deerfield Township, holds meetings at 2 p.m. the third Sunday of each month. Meetings are open to the public and to those interested in becoming a member. For more information, visit www.psfsclub.org or call Lew Weygandt at 330-688-6507.
• Today — Lenape Trails Sportsman’s Club, 15413 Salt Creek Road, Mount Eaton, will host protector trap shoots beginning at 6:30 p.m. For more information, call 330-695-9826.
• Today — The Bolivar Sportsman’s Club, 11286 Bolivar-Strasburg Road NW, Bolivar, hosts open trap shoots at 6:30 p.m. every Friday. For more information, call 330-874-3175.
• Today — The Lake Milton Fish & Game Club, 4375 Bedell Road, Berlin Center, hosts open and protector trap shoots at 6 p.m. every Friday. New shooters welcome. For more information, call Dean at 330-557-4001.
• Saturday — The Copley Trap Range, 1665 Jacoby Road, Copley Township, is open for shoots from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. every Saturday. For more information, call Brad Harker at 330-855-1174 or Harvey Bechtel at 330-620-6909.
• Sunday — A 30 target, 3D shoot will be held at the Wingfoot Bowhunters Club, 524 E. Waterloo Road, Suffield Township. Registration is 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Concessions available. New members welcome. Call: 330-633-5292.
• Sunday — The Lone Eagle Bowmen’s 3D archery shoot begins its 2013 calendar year of shoots. The club, 2276 Seeman St. SW, Canton, will have a 30 target 3D shoot that begins at 9 a.m. Similar events: June 2, Aug. 4 and Sept. 8. For more information, go to LoneEagleBowmen.com.
• Monday — The Edinburg Sportsman Association, 7261 Tallmadge Road, Edinburg Township, hosts its trap league shoots from 6 to 9 p.m. through the fall. New shooters are welcome. For more information, call 330-325-1733 or 330-472-7206.
• Tuesday — The Portage-Summit Field & Stream Club, 8504 State Route 224, Deerfield Township, will host its weekly trap shoots every Tuesday evening, from 5 to 9 p.m. All shooters are welcome. For more information, call 330-688-6507 or go to psfsclub.org.
• Wednesday — The Edinburg Sportsman Association, 7261 Tallmadge Road, Edinburg Township, will be open for trap shooting practice from 6 to 9 p.m. The club will be continue practice through the fall. For more information, call 330-325-1733 or 330-472-7206.
Those purchasing an Ohio hunting license for the first time must complete a hunter education course. Additionally, Ohio hunters seeking licenses in other states may be required to show proof that they completed such a course. There is no charge. For more information, call 800-WILDLIFE.
LET US KNOW
• Seeking events — If you have an outdoors event planned, please submit the information to the Beacon Journal for inclusion in the Outdoors Calendar. Minimum information needed is: type of event, date, time, place (please include an address), cost and a number to call for further information. Include a website if applicable. Please submit items by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or by fax at 330-996-3629.