All CATEGORIES
☰ Menu


Notebook

MLB notebook: Blue Jays’ Bautista done for season

Associated Press

Print
Add This

The Toronto Blue Jays are shutting down right fielder Jose Bautista for the rest of the season due to a nagging left hip injury.

Bautista has been on the disabled list since Aug. 21 and Toronto manager John Gibbons said the slugging outfielder will not play the rest of the season to give him more time to heal.

Though Bautista had been improving, a hip specialist recommended he rest two more weeks, leaving just one week left in the season.

Bautista played 118 games this season, hitting .259 with 28 homers and 73 RBI.

He also had his 2012 season cut short due to wrist surgery.

Cards’ Craig hurts ankle

Cardinals first baseman Allen Craig twisted his left ankle while rounding first base and left the game in the fourth inning on Wednesday night.

Craig hit a grounder to Reds first baseman Joey Votto, who threw too high to pitcher Bronson Arroyo covering the base. Craig twisted his ankle while rounding the base and fell hard, allowing the Reds to retrieve the ball and tag him out while he was still down.

He got up and walked off slowly. Matt Adams replaced him in the field.

The Cardinals have been bothered by nagging injuries while losing five of their last six games. Right fielder Carlos Beltran missed two games with a stiff back, and catcher Yadier Molina left one game with a sore left wrist.

Davis’ return unlikely

Mets manager Terry Collins says he’s not expecting Ike Davis to return from his strained right oblique this season.

Davis had an anti-inflammatory injection on Tuesday in New York.

Davis left Saturday’s game at Washington with the injury. He grimaced and grabbed at his side after hitting a sacrifice fly. He bent over near home plate and didn’t even try to run to first base.

The first baseman has struggled this season and was sent to the minors on June 10 and recalled on July 5. Davis is hitting only .205 with nine homers and 33 RBI. He hit 32 homers in 2012.

Cubs purchase reliever

The Chicago Cubs purchased the contract of RHP Chang-Yong Lim from Triple-A Iowa before Wednesday’s game against the Miami Marlins.

The 37-year-old Lim had his second Tommy John surgery in 2012 and signed a two-year contract last offseason with the Cubs after spending 17 seasons in Korea and Japan. He pitched at four different levels for the Cubs this season, going 0-0 with a 1.61 ERA in 21 appearances.

At Triple-A Iowa, he had a 0.79 ERA in 11 outings.

Ryu to miss next start

A back injury suffered by Hyun-Jin Ryu has forced the Los Angeles Dodgers to scratch the left-hander from his scheduled start Friday at Cincinnati.

Dodgers manager Don Mattingly, speaking before Wednesday night’s game at Colorado, said right-hander Chris Capuano would start in place of Ryu (13-5). He’ll be opposed by the Reds’ Mike Leake.


Print
Add This


MORE IN SPORTS MORE IN SPORTS >
EDITORS' PICKS

OHIO.COM VIDEOS

Prev Next

Most Read Stories