Czechs go up 2-1 in Davis Cup final
• The Czech Republic won the doubles to take a 2-1 lead over defending champion Spain in the Davis Cup final in Prague, moving one win away from its first title as an independent nation. Tomas Berdych and Radek Stepanek beat Marcel Granollers and Marc Lopez 3-6, 7-5, 7-5, 6-3. Berdych can clinch the best-of-five series in first reverse singles today with a win over David Ferrer.
Bears great Ditka has minor stroke
• Pro Football Hall of Famer Mike Ditka had a minor stroke. Ditka, 73, told the Chicago Tribune he was feeling “good right now and it’s not a big deal.” He was playing cards Friday when he noticed his hands “weren’t working quite right,” and then he had trouble speaking.
• Linebacker D.J. Williams could make his 2012 debut today against San Diego after the Denver Broncos put him on their roster. Williams was suspended nine games for violating NFL drug policy and an alcohol-related arrest.
Choi has slim lead at LPGA Titleholders
• U.S. Women’s Open champion Na Yeon Choi finished with a 3-under 69 for a 1-shot lead in the LPGA Titleholders in Naples, Fla. Choi took over the lead when Ai Miyazato double-bogeyed the par-5 second hole.
• Defending champion Ian Poulter shot an 8-under-par 64 to take a 1-stroke lead over Adam Scott after three rounds of the Australian Masters in Melbourne.
• Henrik Stenson took a 3-shot lead into the final round of the South African Open in Johannesburg despite George Coetzee shooting a course-record 63.
• Miguel Angel Jimenez shot a 2-under 68 to share the third-round lead with Michael Campbell at the Hong Kong Open.
NHL negotiations to resume Monday
• The NHL and the locked-out players’ association will return to the bargaining table Monday. Conversations between NHL Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly and NHLPA special counsel Steve Fehr produced enough positive feeling Saturday for the sides to again meet face-to-face.
• Ottawa Senators defenseman Jared Cowen, 21, is out of action for six to eight months after surgery to repair a torn labrum in his left hip.
Maryland considers moving to Big Ten
• Maryland reportedly is in serious discussions to join the Big Ten. The University System of Maryland’s Board of Regents could meet Monday to discuss a move from the Atlantic Coast Conference.
• Skaters Ashley Wagner of the United States and Takahito Mura of Japan won gold at the Trophee Bompard in Paris.
— From wire reports