Stroud and Morgan share lead in CIMB
• Chris Stroud and Ryan Moore overcame mistakes and bogeys on the back nine Saturday for a share of the lead after the third round of the CIMB Classic in Kuala, Lumpur, Malaysia. Stroud started the day 5 strokes back but surged into contention after five birdies on the front nine before hitting into the water on the 12th hole and carding two bogeys for a 4-under 68. Moore (69) opened up a 3-shot lead on the back nine only to bogey four of five holes. Gary Woodland (67) and Kiradech Aphibarnrat (69) were a stroke back.
• American Luke Guthrie stumbled at the end of the third round and wound up tied for the lead with Spain’s Rafa Cabrera-Bello in the BMW Masters in Shanghia. Guthrie missed an 8-foot putt on No. 18 to take another bogey for an even-par 72. Cabrera-Bello was far more efficient, keeping bogeys off his card in a round of 67.
• Defending champion Suzann Pettersen struggled with three early bogeys but recovered for a 1-over 73 to maintain a 4-shot lead in the LPGA Taiwan Championship in Yangmei, Taiwan.
• Kenny Perry bogeyed the final hole to drop into a five-way tie for the lead in the Champions Tour’s AT&T Championship in San Antonio. Perry followed his opening 65 with a 71 to match Mike Goodes, Bernhard Langer, Colin Montgomerie and Anders Forsbrand at 8 under.
Phoenix exercises options on three
• The Phoenix Suns exercised their 2014-15 options on twin forwards Markieff and Marcus Morris and center Miles Plumlee. Markieff Morris has averaged 7.8 points and 4.7 rebounds in 145 games in two seasons with the season. Marcus Morris joined the Suns in a midseason trade with Houston and averaged 5.7 points in 23 games with Phoenix. Plumlee was acquired in trade.
• The Minnesota Timberwolves exercised their fourth-year contract options on point guard Ricky Rubio and small forward Derrick Williams, as expected.
Serena Williams, Na to meet in WTA final
• An exhausted Serena Williams managed to hang on to beat Jelena Jankovic 6-4, 2-6, 6-4 and will play Li Na in the final of the WTA Championships in Istanbul. Li advanced to her first WTA Championships final by sweeping 2011 winner Petra Kvitova 6-4, 6-2.
• Roger Federer set up a rematch with Juan Martin del Potro for his hometown Swiss Indoors title by beating Vasek Pospisil in a tense semifinal in Basel, Switzerland. Federer advanced to his eighth consecutive Basel final with a 6-3, 6-7 (3), 7-5 win. Del Potro also let the second set slip away against an unseeded opponent before beating Edouard Roger-Vasselin of France 6-4, 4-6, 6-2.
Russian teen wins Skate Canada title
• Fifteen-year-old Russian sensation Julia Lipnitskaia won the Skate Canada women’s title in Saint John, New Brunswick, finishing with 198.23 points after a near flawless long program. Japan’s Akiko Suzuki was second at 193.75. American Gracie Gold, the leader Friday after the short program, was third at 186.65. Italy’s Stefania Berton and Ondrej Hotarek won in pairs, finishing at 193.92.
• Manchester United rallied past Stoke 3-2 at Old Trafford in the English Premier League title on second-half headers by Wayne Rooney and Javier Hernandez. Neymar scored one goal and set up Alexis Sanchez’s winning chip shot in the 78th minute, carrying Barcelona past Real Madrid 2-1.
• Lara Gut of Switzerland captured a season-opening World Cup giant slalom in Soelden, Austria for her fourth career victory but first in the discipline.
— From wire reports