Compiled from wire reports
Cardiff has big win in return to Premier
• Cardiff won for the first time in more than 50 years in the top tier of English soccer, jolting mighty Manchester City 3-2 in the Premier League. Fraizer Campbell scored twice to put the Welsh team past the 2012 champions, who have spent heavily during the offseason to win the title again.
• English Premier League soccer team Chelsea agreed to buy Brazilian forward Willian from Russian club Anzhi Makhachkala. Chelsea didn’t reveal financial terms. The Daily Mail said the transfer fee for the Brazilian national team player is 30 million pounds ($46.7 million).
Van Garderen wins USA Pro Challenge
• American Tejay van Garderen won the USA Pro Challenge, finishing in the main pack in the final stage to complete a sweep of the two biggest races in the United States. Van Garderen, the 25-year-old BMC rider from Bozeman, Mont., led the race for the final four days, finishing 1 minute, 30 seconds ahead of Swiss rider Mathias Frank. Slovakia’s Peter Sagan won the final leg for his fourth stage victory of the week, completing the eight-lap, 72.4-mile circuit race in 2:27:15.
• Nicolas Roche of Ireland won the second stage of the Spanish Vuelta, while Vicenzo Nibali took the red overall leader’s jersey as the Italian aims for his second grand tour of the year.
• British newspaper The Sunday Times reached a settlement with Lance Armstrong after suing the disgraced cyclist to recover damages from a libel settlement. In Sunday’s editions, the paper said it and the article’s authors had reached a “mutually acceptable final resolution” with Armstrong, but said the terms are confidential.
Team New Zealand advances to finals
• Emirates Team New Zealand zipped through a thick fog and past Italy’s Luna Rossa again Sunday in San Francisco, capturing the Louis Vuitton Cup challenger series 7-1 and advancing to the premier event against defending champion and bitter rival Oracle Team USA. The best-of-17 America’s Cup starts Sept 7. The Kiwis crushed the conditions and the competition in the challenger finals.
• Rookie Marc Marquez edged his Honda teammate Dani Pedrosa to win the Czech MotoGP in Brno, Czech Republic, for his fourth consecutive victory to stretch his lead in the overall standings.
— From wire reports
Browns running back Trent Richardson did not make his preseason debut Saturday in Indianapolis against the Colts. Richardson played Aug. 15 against the Detroit Lions. A columnist erred.