Alabama players are facing charges
• Three University of Alabama football players have been charged with knocking students unconscious and stealing their wallets, while a fourth player has been charged with using a stolen debit card, officials in Montgomery, Ala., said Tuesday.
Linebacker Tyler Hayes, 18, and safety Eddie Williams, 20, confessed to robbing a student who was punched in the head and face and kicked in the ribs and back early Monday morning, according to court documents. Williams said D.J. Pettway, 20, a defensive lineman, and Hayes waited in a nearby vehicle about an hour later while he knocked out and robbed another student. Williams and Hayes both admitted to their involvement, according to the documents.
Williams and running back Brent Calloway, 20, both admitted to using a stolen credit card to buy snacks from vending machines inside a dormitory, the documents said.
All four students were indefinitely suspended by coach Nick Saban.
• The Chicago Bears terminated the contract of receiver Johnny Knox after he missed last season recovering from a back injury.
• The Washington Redskins hired Keith Burns to be their special teams coordinator. The 40-year-old Burns will replace Danny Smith, who left last month to join the Pittsburgh Steelers.
Knee sprain shelves Maple Leafs goalie
• Toronto Maple Leafs goaltender James Reimer is expected to be sidelined at least a week because of a strained knee ligament. Reimer was injured during the second period of Toronto’s 5-2 victory over the visiting Philadelphia Flyers on Monday. He is 6-3 with a 2.31 goals-against average this season.
• Calgary Flames goalie Miikka Kiprusoff is expected to be sidelined two more weeks because of a sprained knee ligament.
• The Columbus Blue Jackets fired General Manager Scott Howson after the team had only one playoff appearance in more than five seasons.
Northwestern player has knee surgery
• Northwestern says forward Jared Swopshire will miss the remainder of the basketball season after having arthroscopic surgery on his right knee Tuesday. A graduate student who transferred from Louisville, Swopshire started all 24 games and averaged 9.7 points and 6.7 rebounds. He was injured Saturday at Iowa, another big blow for a team that had already lost one of its best players in Drew Crawford to a season-ending shoulder injury in December. Northwestern plays at Ohio State on Thursday.
• American midfielder Mix Diskerud agreed to two-year contract with Norway’s Rosenborg. He joined Rosenborg in August with a half-season contract after playing for Norway’s Stabaek and Belgium’s Ghent.
• Peter Sagan launched a late attack to win the second stage of the Tour of Oman and take the overall lead, with Tour de France winner Bradley Wiggins finishing in the middle of the pack.
— From wire reports