Cubs, Wood settle on one-year deal
• The Chicago Cubs agreed to a one-year contract with All-Star pitcher Travis Wood. A source said the deal is for $3.9 million. The source spoke on the condition of anonymity because the terms were not announced by the team.
• The Indians agreed to a minor-league contract with 33-year-old catcher Luke Carlin, who is returning to Cleveland’s organization.
• The Chicago White Sox agreed to a multi-year contract extension with manager Robin Ventura. Terms were not disclosed.
Speith shoots 63, ties for Farmers lead
• Jordan Speith shot a 9-under 63 and moved ahead of first-round leader Stewart Cink by 1 stroke in the Farmers Insurance Open in La Jolla, Calif.
• Rafa Cabrera-Bello of Spain shot a 1-over-par 73 and squandered a 2-shot lead in finishing tied with Steve Webster of England in first place in the Qatar Masters in Doha, Qatar.
• Jessica Korda took the second-round lead in the season-opening Bahamas LPGA Classic, birdieing four of her last seven holes for a 7-under 66 in Paradise Island, Bahamas.
Neureuther captures Hahenkamm in snow
• Felix Neureuther of Germany won the slalom of the classic Hahnenkamm event in heavy snow in Kitzbuehel, Austria, in a repeat of his first World Cup victory there four years ago.
• Notre Dame hired former Washington Redskins quarterbacks coach Matt LaFleur to hold the same position for the Fighting Irish.
• The San Jose Sharks locked up two of their cornerstone players before they could hit the open market this summer, signing three-year extensions with captain Joe Thornton and franchise leading goal-scorer Patrick Marleau.
• Columbus defender Michael Parkhurst was added to the U.S. roster for a Feb. 1 exhibition against South Korea at Carson, Calif.
• Georgetown starting center Joshua Smith is academically ineligible and will miss the remainder of the season.
— From wire reports