Georgia LB Jones declares for NFL
• After returning to Georgia for the chance to win a championship, All-American linebacker Jarvis Jones is headed to the pros.
Jones informed the school Friday that he won’t be returning for his senior season, a decision that was expected almost as soon as he announced a year ago that he was returning to the Bulldogs. He is projected to be one of the top picks in the NFL draft after leading the nation with 14.5 sacks, 24.5 tackles for losses and seven forced fumbles.
New Orleans waives newcomer McGuire
• The New Orleans Hornets waived forward Dominic McGuire, who’s been with the club a little under a month. Since being signed on Dec. 16, the 6-foot-9 McGuire has appeared in nine games. He’s averaged 2.1 points, 3.1 rebounds and an assist in 16 minutes per game. McGuire, a six-year veteran, has career averages of 2.8 points, 3.4 rebounds, 1.2 assists in 340 games, including 83 starts.
Union and league meet with mediator
• The NHL and the players’ association met separately with a federal mediator throughout Friday morning and well into the afternoon with no sign that they would return to the bargaining table anytime soon. Federal mediator Scot Beckenbaugh has been shuttling back and forth between the hotel in which the union is working, and the league office. As of late afternoon, the sides had made no plans to get together. After marathon talks that lasted deep into Wednesday night, the sides have remained apart with the exception of two smaller meetings on Thursday. The lockout reached its 111th day Friday, and the sides have only one week to reach a deal on a collective bargaining agreement that would allow for a 48-game hockey season — the minimum the NHL has said it will play. Commissioner Gary Bettman set a Jan. 11 deadline.
Blue Jays claim Beck off waivers
• The Blue Jays have claimed pitcher Chad Beck off waivers from the Pittsburgh Pirates, bringing the right-hander back to Toronto. The 27-year-old Beck returns to Toronto after being claimed by the Pittsburgh Pirates at the end of last season. He appeared in 14 games for the Blue Jays in 2012, posting a 6.32 earned-run average. In 43 games with triple-A Las Vegas, Beck recorded 18 saves, fourth in the Pacific Coast League, along with a 2-0 record and a 1.31 ERA.
PGA Tour opener delayed by weather
• The PGA Tour season now starts on Saturday. Wind squalls that howled down the mountains above Maui were so severe Friday that the opening round of the Tournament of Champions was scrapped. Rickie Fowler and Jason Dufner, the first to tee off on the Plantation Course, only played eight holes. Six players in the 30-man field had not even teed off. The decision to clear the round was great news for Scott Stallings, who already was 7-over par.
— From wire reports