All CATEGORIES
☰ Menu


SAILING

Sports News Roundup: Sailor’s death won’t halt America’s Cup

Associated Press The America’s Cup will go on as planned after the death of a sailor during a training run last week on San Francisco Bay, officials said Tuesday. America’s Cup officials made the announcement at a news conference in San Francisco. Organizers met with the four entrants earlier in the day and said the decision to race was unanimous. “There was no discussion to calling off the event,” said Tom Ehman, vice commodore of the Golden Gate Yacht Club, the official host of the 34th America’s Cup. Ehman also said they expected all four entrants to compete, including Artemis Racing and the Italian entry Luna Rossa. Patrizio Bertelli, Luna Rossa’s owner, had cast doubts on his team’s continued participation when he said he had safety concerns immediately after the death of Andrew “Bart” Simpson aboard Artemis’ 72-foot catamaran. One of Artemis’ two boats was badly damaged when it capsized and broke into pieces, trapping Simpson under the wreckage for more than 10 minutes. Bertelli said he would leave it up to his team’s sailors to make the final decision. Ehman and regatta chief Iain Murray said cup organizers spoke with the heads of all four teams early Tuesday and that the decision to go on with the races this summer was unanimous.

Print
Add This

MORE IN SPORTS MORE IN SPORTS >
EDITORS' PICKS

OHIO.COM VIDEOS

Prev Next

Diversions

TRIPLE DOWN BLACKJACK

Black Jack with a twist!

DAILY TRIVIA

Compete in fun quizzes updated daily!

GIN RUMMY

The classic card game you love with a twist!

VEGAS BINGO

Dab your cards, yell 'Bingo' and win big!

Most Read Stories