The University of Akron has changed the venue of its home-opening series against Northern Illinois University.
Originally scheduled at Canal Park, the series has been moved to All Pro Freight Stadium in Avon, Ohio, beginning Friday at 3 p.m.
Kent State University junior Marie Case was named Mid-American Conference Co-Female Scholar-Athlete.
Case won the MAC all-around championship on March 23 and earned MAC Gymnast of the Year for the second consecutive season.
Track and field
• Alex McCune led four University of Akron multi-event athletes in the opening day of the 86th annual Texas Relays in Austin, Texas, on Wednesday.
McCune sits in ninth place in the men’s decathalon with five of the 10 events under way.
• The University of Akron’s Gabriel Genovesi and Brittany Funk earned weekly MAC honors after their performances at the LSU Tiger Relays in Baton Rouge, La.
Genovesi was named MAC Men’s Track Athlete of the Week with Funk taking the women’s honors.
• The Canton Charge had seven players score in double figures and two with double-doubles but still fell to host Springfield Armor (18-27) 110-108 on Wednesday night.
Ryan Rossiter led the Charge (27-19) with 22 points off the bench.
Antoine Agudio (12 points, 11 assists) and Arinze Onuaku (13 points, 10 rebounds) had double-doubles.
• The University of Akron will commemorate its 2012-13 season with a celebration Friday, April 12, at James A. Rhodes Arena.
Doors open at 6 p.m. with a buffet and awards ceremony following at 7 p.m. The event is open to the public, and entry is $20 ($10 for children).
• Malone junior and North Canton Hoover alumnus Cory Veldhuizen earned National Christian College Athletic Association Scholar-Athlete honors.
He led Malone in rebounding per game (5.7) and was second in points (11.7).
The University of Akron’s women’s team extended its winning streak to seven matches with a 7-0 defeat of Illinois-Chicago on Wednesday.