1) Mary J. Blige’s the Liberation Tour, 8 p.m. Saturday at Quicken Loans Arena, Ontario Street and Huron Road, Cleveland, $45-$125; 888-894-9424, www.theQarena.com.
The long-reigning Queen of Hip Hop Soul is in her early 40s and has a 20-year track record now that makes the (Puffy Combs-bestowed) title seem a bit more appropriate. Her onstage court includes Southern soul man Anthony Hamilton, new-ish chanteuse Bridget Kelly and comedian Jay Lamon.
2) Salsa Night at Uncorked Wine Bar, 8 p.m.-midnight tonight, Uncorked Wine Bar, 22 N. High St., Akron. Free, 330-374-1850.
So you love the hip-swiveling, pelvis-grinding, sexy sound and feel of salsa and bachata and merengue and of course, kizomba? Well, these Salsa Nights happening regularly throughout NE Ohio have grown in popularity. Do you have two left feet? That’s no problem because instructor Ravi Uppal will help you with a complimentary lesson that should keep you from embarrassing yourself on the dance floor or at least stop you from crushing the toes of your partner and other nearby dancers. Complimentary appetizers will be provided!
3) Ultrasphinx, the Rats Are Coming the Werewolves Are Here, Hatchet Job, 9 p.m., Friday, Old Haunts Tavern, 1527 E. Market St., Akron. Free.
This is three loud rockin’ local bands mostly made of veterans of the Akron scene (Party of Helicopters, Don Austin and more) making quite a bit of noise at a local music joint.
4) Firestone Park’s annual 2013 Summer Celebration, 2 p.m. Saturday, Firestone Park Community Center, 1480 Girard St., Akron. Free. 330-375-2806.
This annual shindig will feature a car show at 2 p.m., a parade at 4 p.m. and the 29th Ohio Volunteer Infantry (OVI) Company G will be setting up a Civil War-era camp.
5) Kevin Costner & Modern West, 8 p.m. Saturday, the Kent Stage, 175 E. Main St., $50-$150, 330-677-5005, www.thekentstage.com.
Yep, Oscar winner Kevin Costner has joined a long list of screen actors with musical dreams that includes Jeff Bridges, Gary Sinise and Kris Kristofferson, the latter of whom did pretty well for himself.