Up to 1.2 million Ohio adults do not have health insurance, reports the 2012 Ohio Health Issues Poll (OHIP). The poll found that about 2 in 10 Ohio adults (17 percent) were uninsured, which is similar to the result of just over 1 in 10 adults (12 percent) in 2006. The survey focused on adults ages 18-64, as 99 percent of Ohio adults ages 65 and older have coverage.
Major findings of OHIP 2012
• Though adults age 18 to 64 have job-based Ohio health insurance, the proportion of this group is declining
• While 64 percent had employer-sponsored coverage in 2006, this has declined to 53 percent in 2012
• During 2006-2012, the proportion of Ohio adults who had public insurance (like Medicare or Medicaid) went up from 12 percent to 21 percent
• Up to 26 percent of African Americans and 24 percent of Ohio adults below 100 percent of the poverty level do not have health insurance
• 1 in 10 adults (11 percent) who reported excellent or very good health were uninsured
• 26 percent or one quarter of adults who reported fair or poor health did not have health insurance
Affordable Ohio Individual Health Insurance Plans are Available
Jennifer Chubinski, director of community research for The Health Foundation of Greater Cincinnati, which funded OHIP rightly points out that the results of OHIP 2012 clearly show that enhancing insurance coverage for Ohio’s residents is essential to improve their health.
With employers dropping health insurance for their employees, it is crucial that Ohioans consider alternative options. Leading health insurance companies offer many types of affordable health insurance plans in Ohio for individuals and families. These include Ohio Health Savings Accounts, short-term medical plans, COBRA, and more. Ohioans without insurance can easily get expert, professional guidance from an experienced, licensed health insurance agency to choose the right option – comprehensive coverage at affordable cost.
About One Source Benefits
One Source Benefits is an experienced, licensed Ohio health insurance brokerage that has all the resources necessary to help individuals, families and employers secure affordable Ohio health insurance.
This story was provided by an individual or organization for use on the Ohio.com community site, http://www.ohio.com/upublish. We do not endorse and cannot guarantee the accuracy of this posting, though we do reject announcements with inappropriate content. You can read our full user agreement here.