A group of Kent preservationists, Kent Wells-Sherman, Inc. bought a historic 1858 house from its owner, Kent State University, on Tuesday, August 20 for $1.00, using a Sacajawea dollar coin for the transaction. In early 2012, local Kent historians realized that the historic home stood in the way of the planned joint Kent/Kent State project, the “Esplanade”. Research into its provenance revealed that it was built in 1858 for Frances Kent Wells, daughter of Kent patriarch Zenas Kent and on land sold to George Wells by Marvin Kent, her brother and city namesake. Preservationists worked for over a year to save, purchase and move the house to new property and safety. The house will be moved in the early morning hours of Saturday, August 24th, starting at 7:00 a.m. on a 45 minute journey from where it has been stored for the past year on the west end of College Street to its new location at 247 North Water Street. It will pass the place where it was originally built, the NE corner of South Water and Erie Streets. The home was moved in 1924 to Erie Street to make room for a business building and now it will move again for the third and final time.
For more information, please contact Kent Wells-Sherman House Vice President, Roger Thurman, at 330-554-6909.
This story was provided by an individual or organization for use on the Ohio.com community site, http://www.ohio.com/upublish. We do not endorse and cannot guarantee the accuracy of this posting, though we do reject announcements with inappropriate content. You can read our full user agreement here.