Northwestern Middle School and Northwestern High School approved as two of the 25 state approved Ohio STEM Schools!
Ohio already has a powerful portfolio of innovative schools helping create educational experiences that prepare every student for what's next after graduation.
This week, that portfolio got a little larger.
The Ohio STEM Committee, a council of state-appointed policymakers, agency directors and business leaders, met Thursday, April 10 to review applications from prospective "STEM schools." The committee considered applications from nine finalists for its official STEM school designation.
There had already been 17 Approved/Designated STEM Schools across the state of Ohio – that number now increases to 25 STEM Schools across Ohio, with two of these schools – Northwestern Middle School and Northwestern High School – located right here in the tri-county area.
Ohio already has a powerful portfolio of innovative schools helping create educational experiences that prepare every student for what’s next after graduation.
The committee either provisionally fully approved the following schools:
Northwestern Middle School
Northwestern High School
Marysville STEM Early College High School
Akron’s National Inventors Hall of Fame School… Center for STEM Learning High School
Metro Early College Middle School
Valley STEM+ME2 Academy under the Mahoning County ESC
Dayton’s Thurgood Marshall High School
Pickerington’s Ridgeview Junior High School
There are 7 STEM hubs/centers across the state managed by the Ohio STEM Learning Network (OSLN) and Battelle. Northeast Ohio’s hub is based in Akron. A primary endeavor of the Hubs is to organize and provide professional development for teachers and administrators, business and industry, informal STEM education providers (museums, nature centers, organizations and agencies) and institutions of higher education. By recognizing the many professional development resources in the region and promoting their distinctive efforts, a range of professional development opportunities are provided. Business, education, and other community organizations come together as partners to find best practices to increase student interest in and readiness for STEM careers and meet STEM workforce needs in the region. Additionally, STEM education is promoted for all students as they find their way in a highly complex and technological society.
Below is some of the basic information about Northwestern MS and HS programs. We have much committed support and collaboration from our business partners, colleges, and affiliated organizations.
OH College Tech Prep Central Region
OSU - ATI
Stark State College
OSU - OBIC (Oh Bioproducts Innovation Center)
HSTW(High Schools that Work)/SREB (Southern Regional Education Board)
MMGW/SREB(Making Middle grades Work)/SREB (Southern Regional Education Board)
Northeast Ohio BioScience Consortium
G & S Titanium
North Central State College
Wayne County Chamber of Commerce
Tri County ESC
Wayne Cou Economic Development
Northwestern Programs Incl.:
• 4 - year High School Biomedical Nationally Accredited Project Lead the Way STEM program (program began 7 years ago)
• 4 - year High School Engineering Nationally Accredited Project Lead the Way STEM program (program began 7 years ago)
[over 100 school high school students - 1/3 of our high school population - are enrolled in one or more of these two STEM programs]
• High School Environmental Science
• Northwestern High School offers several accelerated/advances programs through our regular curriculum
• Northwestern Middle Schools offers several high school course offerings for Middle School students and we embrace subject and grade level acceleration at all levels
• Senior Seminar Graduation Career Capstone Project
• 8th Grade MS Career Capstone Project
• We also offer 50 semester hours of dual college course credits on our campus
• Future Fridays and Career Exploration Programs
• Leadership Programs
• Member of Northeast Ohio BioScience Consortium (6 years)
• Member of BioOhio (5 years)
• Member of Akron Regional STEM Network (5 years)
• Member of High Schools that Work & SREB Southern Regional Education Board (9 years)
• Member of Making Middle Grades Work & SREB Southern Regional Education Board (8 years)
Below is a listing of our STEM Math and Science related programs:
• 3rd year of our High School Robotics Club (we participate in Robotics Challenge competitions)
• Middle School Medical Detectives Project Lead the Way Biomedical Program
• Middle School Project Lead the Way Gateway Pre-Engineering Program
• Middle School Project Lead the Way Automation & Robotics Program
• Middle School Project Lead the Way Design and Modeling
• Middle School Project Lead the Way Energy and the Environment
• Middle School Project Lead the Way green Architecture
• Middle School Project Lead the Way Science& Technology
• Middle School Project Lead the Way Magic of Electrons
• Middle School Project Lead the Way Flight & Space Program
• Middle School Agricultural Science for High School Credit
Future planned programs include Renewable Energies, entrepreneurship, and expansion of Environmental Science Programs.
This story was provided by an individual or organization for use on the Ohio.com community site, http://www.ohio.com/upublish. We do not endorse and cannot guarantee the accuracy of this posting, though we do reject announcements with inappropriate content. You can read our full user agreement here.