Bob Downing

Texas-based Range Resources intends to focus its drilling efforts in 2012 in Pennsylvania and Ohio shale where lucrative natural gas liquids and oil reserves are found.


Other companies, including Chesapeake Energy Corp., have announced similar plans, as natural gas prices remain low.


But Range Resources, based in Fort Worth, has a new name for the area with its so-called wet gases: the "super-rich area," reports the Pipeline blog from the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.


Range reportedly has leases on 125,000 acres in western Pennsylvania and eastern Ohio in the super-rich area, it reported.


The company is earmarking 75 percent of its 2012 drilling funds for the liquid-rich areas of Marcellus shale, as well as drilling in Mississippi. The other 25 percent will focus on natural gas areas in northeast Pennsylvania.