Trumpeter, singer will perform
The night before Thanksgiving is always a busy time in local watering holes as people come to town for the holiday and want to enjoy a little down time before the big meal. (Watch your intake: Motorists can expect increased enforcement as police watch for impaired driving.)
This year, two prodigal musical children are returning to Akron for Thanksgiving Eve shows.
• Jazz and classical trumpeter Josh Rzepka will play a free show at 7:30 p.m. at Pub Bricco, 1841 Merriman Road, Akron. Rzepka moved to Chicago to further his career but returns often to play around the Akron area.
• Joseph Arthur comes to Tangier, 532 W. Market St., Akron, at 8:30 p.m. The Akron-born singer-songwriter was discovered by Peter Gabriel in the mid-’90s and has put out an eclectic series of recordings ranging from folk rock to “psychedelic soul.” Tickets are $25-$30 at 330-376-7171, www.thetangier.com/entertainment.
Movie releases for holiday crowds
It’s also a busy day in theaters as movies open early to take advantage of holiday crowds. Among the new releases:
• The Rocky franchise moves into the next generation with Creed, in which Adonis Johnson (Michael B. Jordan), son of boxing champion Apollo Creed, seeks out Rocky Balboa (Sylvester Stallone) and asks the retired champ to be his trainer.
• The latest Disney/Pixar effort is The Good Dinosaur, about a young dino named Arlo who is separated from his parents and makes a human friend.
• James McAvoy and Daniel Radcliffe star in Victor Frankenstein, which tells the tale from Igor’s perspective.