If you're cavalier about the chemicals you use around the house, you could be risking your life.
I was reminded of that by a brief in today's paper about a warning from the Centers for Disease Control on the use of certain chemical strippers in the bathtub refinishing process. The strippers, which contain methylene chloride, killed 13 people from 2000 to 2011. At least one of them was a do-it-yourselfer.
The people who died were overcome by vapors because they'd failed to ventilate the bathrooms and wear adequate protective gear, despite labels warnings. What's more, the products they chose weren't labeled for use on bathtubs.
It's a stark reminder of the importance of reading and following label instructions and using the right product for the right purpose.