A brief chronology of Akrons cereal mills of the 1800s:
Stone Mill (1832) Foot of Mill Street near Ash Street. Built by Dr. Eliakim Crosby. Five-story building along the Ohio & Erie Canal.
Aetna Mill (1838) North of West Market Street and west of foot of Furnace Street at Lock 10 of Ohio & Erie Canal. Built by Samuel A. Wheeler and John B. Mitchell. Formerly a blast iron furnace.
Center Mill (1839) Three-story frame building at Cherry Street and Ohio & Erie Canal. Built by Joseph A. Beebe and William E Wright. Originally a woolen mill.
Cascade Mill (1840) Near southwest corner of Howard and North streets. Built by William Mitchell and Judge Leceister King. Purchased by Ferdinand Schumacher in 1866 and expanded.
City Mill (1842) At foot of West Market Street between Canal Street and Ohio & Erie Canal. Built by George W. McNeil.
Allen Mill (1856) A brick mill on Canal Street south of Cherry Street. Built by Albert Allen on former site of Center Mill. Formerly a woolen mill.
German Mill (1859) Originally at Howard and West Market streets. Built by Schumacher. Moved to South Summit Street between Mill and Quarry streets in 1863. Destroyed by fire in 1872. New building on Summit Street in 1872. Burned in 1886.
Empire Mill (1863) East Mill and Summit streets. Specialized in barley. Built by Schumacher.
Pearl Mill (1870) Canal and Cherry streets. Built by William G. Raymond and Abraham Fulton. Succeeded by the Hower Oatmeal Mill led by John H. Hower.
Jumbo Mill (1884) Eight-story building off South Broadway. Built by Schumacher. Destroyed by fire in 1886.
Akron Milling Co. (1884) Howard Street, adjoining Stone Mill on Mill Street. Purchased by Schumacher in 1886.
Seiberling Milling Co. (1883) Six-story brick flour mill near Case Avenue in East Akron. Built by John F. Seiberling. Famous for Mothers Oats. Became associated with Great Western Cereal Co. in 1901. Gobbled up by Quaker Oats Co. about 1912.
Mark J. Price