Aspiring furniture makers can learn from one of our area’s masters, Hudson woodworker Richard Grell.
Grell, known for his Windsor chairs, is sharing his skills through new workshops on making a hoop-back Windsor chair or a child’s hoop-back Windsor, as well as a class on aged paint finishing.
The hoop-back Windsor class is offered July 8 to 12 or Aug. 5 to 9 and costs $1,285. The child’s Windsor class is July 24 to 26 or Aug. 21 to 23 and costs $685. The paint finishing class is July 13 and 14 or Aug. 24 and 25 and costs $495.
All classes are from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. at his workshop, 2015 Norton Road.
Information and a mail-in registration form are at http://richardgrell.com, or call 330-650-0586.
Garden Forum trip
A bus trip to Cleveland Botanical Garden on July 11 is being sponsored by the Garden Forum of Greater Akron.
The bus will leave at 8:45 a.m. from the parking lot outside the lower level of the Dillard’s north store in Summit Mall. (Summit Mall has two Dillard’s stores. The north store is near the intersection of Smith and Ghent roads.)
The bus will return about 4 p.m.
The $40 cost covers admission, a guided tour and lunch.
For information, call Marie Modugno, 330-922-1906.
Needleworkers can escape into the joy of their craft during Knittreat, a retreat Nov. 7 to 10 in Bedford Springs, Pa.
The retreat at the Omni Bedford Springs Resort & Spa features knitting and crochet classes led by national-caliber teachers. It is sponsored by the organizers of the Pittsburgh Knit & Crochet Festival.
Details are at www.knittreat.com. Early registration deadline is Sunday.
• Garden tour, noon to 6 p.m. today, Medina area. Visit two public and five private gardens. $15. Tickets available from 11:30 to 1 p.m. at Munson House, 141 S. Prospect St., and the East Washington Street entrance to Spring Grove Cemetery, and from 11:30 to 4 p.m. at Root Candles, 623 W. Liberty St. Proceeds support the Medina Community Design Committee.
• Hosta show, 1-4 p.m. today, Canton Garden Center, 1615 Stadium Park Drive NW. Free. Presented by the Midland Hosta Society. 330-455-6172.
• Hale Home & Garden Tour, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. today and Sunday, Hale Farm & Village, 2686 Oak Hill Road, Bath Township. Learn about the history and restoration of the village’s homes, tour the gardens and meet the people who maintain them. $10; children ages 3 to 12, $5; members and younger children, free. www.wrhs.org or 330-666-3711.
• Cleveland Botanical Garden events, 11030 East Blvd. Ask the Gardener, noon to 4 p.m. today. BotaniCool School: Flowers & Their Friends for children ages 3 to 5, 1:30-2:30 p.m. Friday or 10:30-11:30 a.m. July 6 (members $7, others $10, registration required). Garden admission: $9.50; children ages 3-12, $4; members and younger children, free. 216-721-1600 or www.cbgarden.org.
• Knitty Gritters Knitting Club meeting, 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Monday, Lake Community Branch of Stark County District Library, 11955 Market Ave. N., Lake Township. 330-877-9975.
• Home buyer seminar, 6-7 p.m. Tuesday, Twin Oaks Realty, 2003 W. Market St., Akron. Program covers various aspects of the home-buying process. Free. Reservations: 330-867-9990 or email@example.com.
Submit notices of classes, programs and events two weeks in advance to firstname.lastname@example.org or Home and Garden News, Features Department, Akron Beacon Journal, P.O. Box 640, Akron, OH 44309-0640. Please include name and phone number. All events must be open to the public.
Mary Beth Breckenridge can be reached at 330-996-3756 or email@example.com. You can also become a fan on Facebook at http://tinyurl.com/mbbreck, follow her on Twitter @MBBreckenridge and read her blog at www.ohio.com/blogs/mary-beth.