Applications are available for Portage County’s next master gardener volunteer training class.
Master gardener volunteers are affiliated with the Ohio State University Extension and help with educational programs and activities.
The training will be 6 to 9 p.m. Mondays from Sept. 11 to Nov. 13 at the Portage County Soil and Water Conservation District office, 6970 State Route 88, Ravenna. Three Saturdays are also required.
The fee is $225. Three scholarships are available.
For questions or an application, contact Robin Christensen at email@example.com or 330-296-6432.
Application deadline is July 14.
Ever wish you could help renovate homes on the PBS series This Old House?
Now’s your chance.
Saturday is the deadline to apply for an apprenticeship with the This Old House team of experts. The three apprentices will live in Greater Boston for 10 weeks this summer and work on the renovation of a home in Newton, Mass., for the 2017-2018 season.
Information is at www.thisoldhouse.com/TOHApprentice.
• Knitting and Crocheting Circle meetings, 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday and April 22, Highland Library, 4160 Ridge Road, Granger Township, Medina County (330-278-4271 or 330-239-2674), and 6-8 p.m. Monday and Thursday, Medina Library, 210 S. Broadway (330-725-0588). Bring projects or share tips and tricks. Beginners welcome.
• American Sewing Guild meetings. Garment Gals, 10 a.m. Saturday, Stow-Munroe Falls Public Library, 3512 Darrow Road, Stow; firstname.lastname@example.org or 330-809-6354. Wadsworth group, 7 p.m. Wednesday, Trinity United Church of Christ, 215 High St.; 330-336-4067 or email@example.com.
• Gardeners of Greater Akron meeting, Monday evening, St. George Fellowship Centre, 3204 Ridgewood Road, Copley Township. Social hour starts at 5:30, dinner at 6:30. Program: Tomatoes by master gardener volunteer Lee Paulson, plus scholarship awards. $13. Reservations: 330-336-6269. Information: www.ohiogardeners.org.
• Downsizing & Decluttering, 6:30 p.m. Tuesday, Seville Library, 45 N. Center St. Free. Register at www.mcdl.info/events or at the library.
• Cacti and Succulent Bowl Workshop With Wine, 5:30 p.m. Wednesday, Graf Growers Garden Center, 1015 White Pond Drive, Copley Township. Plant a succulent garden in a container. Bring a container from home or buy one at Graf Growers. $15 plus the cost of plants. Outside plants and accessories are not welcome. Registration: https://squareup.com/market/graf-growers or 330-836-2727.
• Sustainability Open House, 6-8 p.m. Thursday, Visitors Center, F.A. Seiberling Nature Realm, 1828 Smith Road, Akron. Drop in to learn about Earth-friendly options for lawn and garden care, cleaning and more. 330-865-8065.
• Floral Arranging Workshop, 9 a.m. to noon Friday, Jack & Deb Miller Pavilion, Secrest Arboretum, Ohio Agricultural Research and Development Center, 1680 Madison Ave., Wooster Township. Learn basic floral design using plants found in the home landscape. Members $25, others $30. Registration: http://secrest.osu.edu.
• Portage County Gardeners rummage sale, 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Friday and April 22, 5154 S. Prospect St. (state Route 44), Rootstown Township. Home decor items, housewares, garden items and more. www.facebook.com/portagecountygardeners.
• Water gardening seminars, Friday and April 22, Hoffman’s Water X Scapes Garden Center, 1021 E. Caston Road, Green. Algae Solutions & Spring Pond Opening, 6:30 p.m. Friday. Pond Lighting, 8 p.m. Friday. Pondless Water Features, 10 a.m. April 22. Pond Planning, Design & Construction, 1 p.m. April 22. All are free. www.waterxscapes.com/seminars or 330-896-9811.
• Canton Spring Avant-Garde Art & Craft Show, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. April 22, St. George Serbian Center, 4667 Applegrove St. NW, Jackson Township. $3; children younger than 12 admitted free. www.avantgardeshows.com.
• Northeast Ohio Daffodil Show, 10:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. April 22, Donzell’s Flower & Garden Center, 937 E. Waterloo Road, Akron. See unusual varieties of daffodils and talk to members of the Northeast Ohio Daffodil Society. Free. 330-724-0505.
• Midland Hosta Society potluck meeting, 11:30 a.m. April 22, Kiwanis Civic Center, 725 Portage Lakes Drive, Coventry Township. Program at 1 p.m.: Today’s Hottest Gardening Trends — Succulents by Carol A. Knock, Trumbull County master gardener volunteer. www.midlandhostasociety.weebly.com.
• Big Spring, through April 23, Cleveland Botanical Garden, 11030 East Blvd. Imaginative celebration with supersized flowers, larger-than-life ladybugs and lots of children’s activities. $12 for teens and adults, $8 for children 3-12, free for younger children and members of the botanical garden or Holden Arboretum. www.cbgarden.org or 216-721-1600.
Submit notices of classes, programs and events to firstname.lastname@example.org or Home and Garden News, Features Department, Akron Beacon Journal, P.O. Box 640, Akron, OH 44309-0640. Please include name and phone number. All events must be open to the public. Deadline for submissions is noon Monday.
Mary Beth Breckenridge can be reached at 330-996-3756 or email@example.com. You can also become a fan on Facebook at www.facebook.com/MBBreckABJ or follow her on Twitter @MBBreckABJ .