Unwanted and non-working Christmas lights can go to a good cause during St. Hilary Parish’s drive-thru recycling event, 9 a.m. to noon Dec. 5.
Volunteers will take your lights and even offer you cookies and hot chocolate to thank you. The parish will take the lights to a recycling center and use the proceeds for its Giving Tree.
St. Hilary is at 2750 W. Market St., Fairlawn.
Heating and cooling
Before you replace your home’s heating and cooling equipment, read up on the matter in Home Heating & Cooling For Dummies, a free e-book from Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning.
The book addresses such topics as determining when to replace your equipment, dealing with ductwork and choosing a contractor.
You can download it at http://heatingandacfordummies.com.
You could win GE kitchen or laundry appliances in American Home Shield’s You Pick Three sweepstakes.
Contestants can enter daily on Facebook, Pinterest or Twitter for the chance to win three appliances valued at up to $5,000, plus $200 toward installation. Two winners will be chosen.
The contest ends Monday.
Details on entering are at http://tinyurl.com/youpick3.
Events and programs
• Knitting and Crocheting Circle meeting, 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday, Highland Library, 4160 Ridge Road, Granger Township, Medina County (330-278-4271 or 330-239-2674)
• Crafty Mart, 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Saturday and 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. Sunday, downtown Akron. Goods by local artisans offered at three locations: Akron Art Museum, 1 S. High St.; Musica, 51 E. Market St.; and Summit Artspace, 140 E. Market St. Free admission. www.craftymart.org.
• Holiday workshops, Graf Growers Garden Center, 1015 White Pond Drive, Copley Township. Holiday Fairy Garden Workshop, 5:30 p.m. Tuesday. Potting soil free; participants pay for other items used. Hellebores Happy Hour, 5:30 p.m. Thursday. $10 plus cost of hellebores and embellishments. For either class, participants may bring a pot or buy one at Graf Growers. Reservations: 330-836-2727 or http://squareup.com/market/graf-growers.
• History and Horticulture of the Holidays, 7 p.m. Wednesday, Springfield Community/Senior Center, 2459 Canfield Road, Springfield Township. Talk by Lee Paulson, Summit County master gardener volunteer. Free. 330-733-2556.
• E.J. Thomas Christmas Arts & Crafts Show, Friday through Dec. 6, E.J. Thomas Hall, 198 Hill St., Akron. More than 100 artisans. Hours: noon to 7 p.m. Friday, 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Dec. 5 and 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Dec. 6. $5; seniors 62 and older, $4.50; children 12 or younger, free. http://uaevents.com.
• Brunswick Kiwanis Christmas Craft Fair, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Dec. 5, Brunswick Recreation Center, 3637 Center Road. Free admission. 216-570-8201.
• Community Christmas Bazaar, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Dec. 5, Boston Township Hall, 1775 Main St., Peninsula. Handmade, upcycled, repurposed and vintage items, baked goods, antiques and crafts. 330-657-2439 or email@example.com.
• Pop Up Crafty Mart, 5-9 p.m. Dec. 5, Summit Artspace, 140 E. Market St. Event is part of Downtown Akron Artwalk.
• Children’s Holly Days Weekend, noon to 4 p.m. Dec. 5-6, Donzell’s Flower & Garden Center, 937 E. Waterloo Road, Akron. Children can enjoy cocoa and cookies, make a Christmas craft to take home and visit with Santa. Information: 330-724-0505 or http://donzells-gales.com.
• Victorian Christmas Tours, through Dec. 19, Perkins Stone Mansion, 550 Copley Road, Akron. Tours of the decorated mansion offered 1-4 p.m. Wednesdays through Saturdays. $6; free for members of the Summit County Historical Society. Family Night With Santa, 5-8 p.m. Dec. 5; $10 for adults, $5 for children 6 to 16; free for society members. www.SummitHistory.org or 330-535-1120.
• Christmas at Beech Creek Gardens, through Dec. 27, Beech Creek Botanical Garden & Nature Preserve, 11929 Beech St. NE, Washington Township, Stark County. Candyland & the Christmas Express, featuring fun, educational exhibits about candy and plants, 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. Thursdays and Fridays, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturdays and noon to 5 p.m. Sundays; $2. Kids Make & Take Workshop, 4-8 p.m. Thursdays and Fridays, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturdays and noon to 4 p.m. Sundays; $4 per project or three for $10. Fragrant & Meaningful Potpourri workshop for adults, 2-3:30 p.m. Sunday; $12 for members and $15 for others (reservations required). Live Rosemary Tree planting and decorating workshop for adults, 2-3:30 p.m. Dec. 5; $15 for members and $18 for others (reservations required). 330-829-7050 or www.beechcreekgardens.org.
• Deck the Hall, through Jan. 2, Stan Hywet Hall & Gardens, 714 N. Portage Path, Akron. Event features a decorated Manor House with the theme “Home for the Holidays,” lighted grounds, Dazzle animated light show, re-creation of an animated holiday store window, Gingerbread Land play area, musical entertainment, snacks, shopping opportunities and more. Open 5-8 p.m. Saturday and Sunday as well as Dec. 3-6, 10-23 and 26-30 and Jan. 2. $18; $7 for youth 6-17 and college students with ID; free for younger children. Tickets available upon arrival or in advance at www.stanhywet.org or 330-315-3287.
• Glow, through Jan. 3, Cleveland Botanical Garden, 11030 East Blvd. Decorated trees, gingerbread houses, seasonal flowers, Garden Express train rides, model train display, shopping opportunities, entertainment and more. Hours: 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays; 10 a.m. to 9 p.m. Wednesdays and Fridays; noon to 6 p.m. Sundays. Admission: $16; $12 for children 3-12; free for younger children and members of the botanical garden or Holden Arboretum. 216-721-1600 or www.cbgarden.org.
Submit notices of classes, programs and events to firstname.lastname@example.org or Home and Garden News, Features Department, Akron Beacon Journal, P.O. Box 640, Akron, OH 44309-0640. Please include name and phone number. All events must be open to the public. Deadline for submissions is noon Monday.
Mary Beth Breckenridge can be reached at 330-996-3756 or email@example.com. You can also become a fan on Facebook at www.facebook.com/MBBreckABJ, follow her on Twitter @MBBreckABJ and read her blog at www.ohio.com/blogs/mary-beth.