This is the time of year when gardeners put down their shovels and pick up some pointers for next year.
Lots of learning opportunities are available in the coming weeks. One of them is the annual Saturday Gardening Series, offered by the Summit County Master Gardeners.
The program is from 10 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Feb. 27 and March 5 at Coventry Oaks Pavilion, 40 Axline Ave., Akron. Doors open at 9:30.
Presentations will cover small space gardening, perennial maintenance, specialty greens and lettuces, new plants for 2016, fruit growing, insect and plant interactions, heirloom tomatoes and weeds.
Tickets are $37.50 for one day or $60 for both. Lunch is included.
Details and a link to an online registration form are at www.summitmastergardeners.org. Deadline is Feb. 22.
Another educational opportunity comes from Dayton Nurseries, which is again offering its winter gardening seminar series.
• Feb. 6, Seasonal Containers by Cynthia Druckenbrod of Cleveland Botanical Garden.
• Feb. 13, Ohio Wetlands & Your Backyard by Greg Snowden of Davey Resource Group.
• Feb. 20, Renewing Your Landscape by Dayton Nurseries owner Tom Dayton.
• Feb. 27, Miniature Landscaping by Mark Langan of Mulberry Creek Herb Farm.
• March 5: Root to Stalk Cooking — How to Make the Most of Your Garden’s Crops and Reduce Food Waste by Tamara Mitchell of Dine-in Diva.
• The Life & Decline of the Monarch Butterfly by naturalist Judy Semroc.
• The Best New Perennials for 2016 by Tom Dayton and Karen Martin of Dayton Nurseries.
Each seminar starts at 11 a.m. Cost is $8.
Advance registration is required at 330-825-3320 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Dayton Nurseries is at 3459 Cleveland-Massillon Road, Norton.
Residents of Green may be eligible for assistance with home renovations and modifications to ensure their homes are safe.
Applications are now being accepted for 2016. Contractors will work with the nonprofit organization Rebuilding Together Northeast Ohio to help elderly or disabled people, veterans and low-income families.
To learn more, visit www.rebuildingtogetherneo.org or call 330-773-4100.
Events and programs
• June-in-January, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday, Buchwalter Greenhouse, 6554 Back Orrville Road, Green Township near Wooster. Outdoor living show with theme “Summer Nights!” Free. www.juneinjanuary.com.
• Hinckley Arts & Crafts meeting, 11 a.m. Tuesday, Hinckley Town Hall, 1410 Ridge Road. Topic: locker hooking work-along. $10. Reservations: 330-278-3633.
• Spinning Workshop, 10 a.m. to noon or 2 to 4 p.m. Thursday, Hale Farm & Village, 2686 Oak Hill Road, Bath Township. Private lesson in spinning on Hale’s great wheel. $36 plus $10 material fee. Reservations: 330-666-3711 ext. 1720, or email@example.com. Workshop will be repeated at the same times Feb. 11.
• Great Big Home + Garden Show, Friday through Feb. 14, I-X Center, 1 I-X Center Drive, Cleveland. Vendor exhibits, idea homes, indoor gardens, stage presentations. Appearances by Karen Rominger and Mina Starsiak of HGTV’s Good Bones, Friday and Feb. 6; Dr. Brent Ridge and Josh Kilmer-Purcell of the Cooking Channel’s The Fabulous Beekman Boys, Feb. 12 and 13; Jason Cameron of DIY network’s Desperate Landscapes, Feb. 12 and 13; and Ursula Carmona of the blog Home Made by Carmona, Feb. 12 and 14. Show hours: 11 a.m. to 9 p.m. Friday, 10 a.m. to 9 p.m. Feb. 6, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Feb. 7, 11 a.m. to 9 p.m. Feb. 8-12, 10 a.m. to 9 p.m. Feb. 13 and 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Feb. 14. $15; children 6-12, $5; younger children, free. Seniors 65 and older with ID admitted for $10 Monday through Thursday only. Discount tickets at www.greatbighomeandgarden.com or Discount Drug Marts.
• Grafting Workshop, 8 a.m. to noon Feb. 6, Secrest Arboretum Field Headquarters, 2320 Selby Road, Wayne Township near Wooster. $40. Participants can take grafted plants home. Information and registration: http://secrest.osu.edu.
• Garden Design for the Modern Family, 10-11:30 a.m. Feb. 6, Graf Growers Garden Center, 1015 White Pond Drive, Copley Township. Seminar by Laura Deeter of Ohio State University’s Agricultural Technical Institute. $13.99. Register at the store, at 330-836-2727 or at https://squareup.com/?market/graf-growers.
• Birds in Your Backyard, 11 a.m. Feb. 6, Donzell’s Flower & Garden Center, 937 E. Waterloo Road, Akron. Presentation by Joyce Pelz of Akron Audubon Society. Free. Reservations: 330-724-0550.
• Quilt of Valor National Open Sewing Day, 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Feb. 6, Ohio Star Quilts, 2383 S. Main St., Akron. Help make quilt tops for service members and veterans. Bring a sewing machine and sewing tools. Free. Registration: 330-644-6100. Space is limited.
• Wine Bottle Succulent Workshop, 1 p.m. Feb. 6, Graf Growers Garden Center, 1015 White Pond Drive, Copley Township. Drink a glass of wine as you plant succulents in a cut wine bottle. $15 plus the cost of plants. Registration: 330-836-2727 or https://?squareup.com/market/graf-growers.
• Orchid Mania, through March 6, Cleveland Botanical Garden, 11030 East Blvd. Orchid displays, botanically inspired fashions, plus landscapes and scenes that evoke Cuba. Pressed Flower Bookmark Workshop, 10:30 a.m. to noon Feb. 6; members $25, others $40 (registration required). Garden admission: $11, children 3-12, $6; members and younger children, free. 216-721-1600 or www.cbgarden.org.
Submit notices of classes, programs and events to firstname.lastname@example.org or Home and Garden News, Features Department, Akron Beacon Journal, P.O. Box 640, Akron, OH 44309-0640. Please include name and phone number. All events must be open to the public. Deadline for submissions is noon Monday.
Mary Beth Breckenridge can be reached at 330-996-3756 or email@example.com. You can also become a fan on Facebook at www.facebook.com/MBBreckABJ, follow her on Twitter @MBBreckABJ and read her blog at www.ohio.com/blogs/mary-beth.