Hinckley resident Connie Ogilvie has been honored as the 2011 Medina County Master Gardener of the Year.
Ogilvie, who earned her master gardener certification in 2009, was cited for exceptional knowledge of horticulture and a willingness to help others. Her volunteer efforts include serving as project manager for the Ohio State University Extension’s horticulture hot line, serving as an Earth Day exhibitor and interviewing and working with master gardener interns.
In addition to her work with the Medina County program, she assists the master gardeners of Summit and Cuyahoga counties. She works with residents of Regina Health Center in Richfield Township and with youth at the Akron Zoo Children’s Garden, and she educates youth on planting, recycling and using worms to create compost.
Master gardeners are volunteers who help the OSU Extension educate the public on good gardening practices.
Free soil test
You can get a free soil pH test each Saturday in April at Donzell’s Flower & Garden Center.
The tests are offered from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. in the lawn and garden department. Testing will show only the acidity or alkalinity of the soil, but information will be available on more extensive testing, Donzell’s spokeswoman Debbie Kohari said.
Handouts with instructions are available at the store, or just bring some soil in a plastic bag, such as a sandwich bag.
Donzell’s is at 937 E. Waterloo Road, Akron.
Kingwood Center trip
North Canton YMCA Seniors are planning a bus tour to Kingwood Center’s gardens and three Mansfield-area greenhouses May 15.
The tour is open to anyone, regardless of age or membership in the group.
The $85 cost covers transportation, lunch at Malabar Farms Restaurant, admission to the Kingwood Center gardens and all tips. Participants will have time to shop at Possum Run Greenhouse, Alta Florist & Greenhouse and Green Valley Growers, and they’ll receive a small plant at each.
For information, call Terri Pollock, 330-499-2587, ext. 117.
• The Elegant Egg, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. today and 1 to 5 p.m. Sunday, Akron First Presbyterian Church, 647 E. Market St. Show and sale of eggshell artistry. $3; 12 and younger, free. Information: http://TheElegantEgg.weebly.com, firstname.lastname@example.org or 330-322-7966.
• Rain Barrels & Water Harvesting, 6 p.m. Monday, Hoffman’s Garden Center, 1021 E. Caston Road, Green. Free, but reservations are requested at 330-896-9811 or email@example.com.
• Needlework Circle, 5:30 p.m. Wednesdays, Seville Branch, Medina County District Library, North Center Street. Information: 330-769-2852.
• Denyse Schmidt, 5:30-7:30 p.m. Thursday, Jo-Ann Fabric and Craft Store, 5381 Darrow Road, Hudson. Schmidt, a professional quilter and author, will display some of her quilt designs and sign copies of her new book, Modern Quilts, Traditional Inspiration.
• Knitting and Crocheting Circle, 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. April 7, Highland Branch, Medina County District Library, 4160 Ridge Road, Granger Township. Learn the basics or bring your projects and swap tips. Registration: 330-278-4271 or 330-239-2674.
Submit notices of classes, programs and events two weeks in advance to firstname.lastname@example.org or Home and Garden News, Features Department, Akron Beacon Journal, P.O. Box 640, Akron, OH 44309-0640. Please include name and phone number. All events must be open to the public.
Mary Beth Breckenridge can be reached at 330-996-3756 or email@example.com. You can also become a fan on Facebook.