Here is a list of road and lane closings in the Akron area:
Major highways abruptly closed: None.
• Interstate 77 northbound ramp, to I-76 westbound: Closed through late August 2018 for road construction. Detour will be I-277 westbound to I-277 westbound to I-76/Kenmore leg eastbound.
• State Route 8 southbound ramp, to I-76 westbound: Closed through late August 2019 for road construction. Detour will be I-77 southbound to I-277 westbound to I-76/Kenmore leg eastbound.
• I-76 lane restrictions and ramp closings: Until further notice, the following will occur: the ramp from Lakeshore Boulevard to I-76 eastbound will be closed. Detour will be Lakeshore to West Thornton Street to Grant Street to East Exchange Street to Spicer Street to Carroll Street to state Route 8; I-76 in both directions from just east of state Route 59/innerbelt to just east of I-77/Route 8/Central Interchange will be reduced to two lanes in each direction, with all traffic crossed over onto the westbound lanes of I-76; and the ramp from I-76 eastbound to I-77 southbound will be closed. Detour will be I-76/Kenmore leg westbound to I-277 eastbound to I-77 southbound.
• West Center Street bridge, between Rand Avenue and Dart Avenue: Closed until July for bridge replacement. Traffic will be detoured using Rand Avenue, West State Street bridge and Dart Avenue.
• Evans Avenue, between Shreve Road and Damar Drive: Closed through Dec. 13 to perform utility service connections. A detour will be posted. Local traffic will be maintained up the closure point.
• Neptune Avenue, between North Firestone Boulevard and Cole Avenue: Lane restrictions for a gas main replacement project until mid-January. Traffic will be maintained but there will be some temporary lane closings and shifting of traffic.
• Crouse Street, between Forrest Street and Wilmot Street: Closed until Dec. 15 for sewer work. Detour will use Wilmot and Forrest. Emergency access will be maintained.
• West Bowery Street, between West Exchange Street and West State Street: One lane will be closed in each direction for about 18 months for construction of a building addition. Traffic will be maintained but shifted to provide a patient drop-off area at Akron Children’s Hospital. One lane is entirely closed as work continues on the pedestrian bridge crossing over West Bowery. Work will start on the east side of the street and progressively shift one lane to the west as needed throughout the week until work is completed.
• Crosby Street, between Oakdale Avenue and Woodland Avenue: Closed until Dec. 15 for sanitary sewer reconstruction work. Traffic will be detoured using South Balch Street and South Maple Street. Access maintained for residents and emergency vehicles.
• Brittain Road, between Marks Avenue and Eastland Avenue: Lane restrictions for installation of new signal poles until Dec. 15. Lane closings and shifting of traffic will occur during the day, but traffic will be maintained in both directions.
• Tallmadge Avenue, between Home Avenue and Brittain Road: Lane restrictions for installation of new signal poles until Friday. Work includes the intersections of Home Avenue, Industrial Parkway, Creighton Avenue and Brittain Road. There will be some lane closings and shifting of traffic, but traffic will be maintained in all directions.
• North Summit Street, between Furnace Street and Perkins Street: Sewer work has been completed between the railroad tracks and Perkins, but will continue north of the tracks to Furnace until Friday. A detour is posted.
• Royal Avenue and surrounding neighborhood: Gas main replacement until Friday. Work will be on Palisades Drive between Merriman Road and Bell Ridge Road, and Royal Avenue between Palisades Drive and Mentor Road. Traffic will be maintained around the work zones with some temporary lane closings and shifting of traffic.
• West Market Street/Westgate Circle intersection: Water main repair near the southeast corner of the intersection will require closing of the northbound side of Westgate Circle between Manor Road and West Market and the west entrance into the Westgate shopping plaza. Traffic northbound on Westgate Circle will detour using Manor Road to West Market. Traffic eastbound on Manor will detour using Westgate Circle to South Hawkins Avenue. It is expected to be completed by Friday.
• West Market Street, between North Hawkins Avenue and North Portage Path: Signalization project through Dec. 15. There will be short-term construction zones. Traffic will be maintained but shifted as needed. All lanes will be reopened to traffic by the end of each day. Emergency vehicles have access at all times.
• MLK Jr. Boulevard/North Howard Street/North Main Street intersection: Lane restrictions for relocation of utilities and lowering of the intersection. The north, south and east side of the intersection have been reopened to traffic. The westbound lane to Rand Avenue has been reopened to traffic. The eastbound lane is also planned to be reopened this week.
• West Cedar Street, between Akron General Avenue and West Bowery Street: A steam condensate project is underway. Work will continue toward West Bowery in the north two lanes of West Cedar. A detour is posted for southbound traffic on West Bowery. Work is expected to be completed Friday.
• West Cedar Street and West Exchange Street, between South Portage Path and South Broadway: Signalization work continues on conduit crossings at the signalized intersections of West Exchange. Work has begun at the intersection of South Broadway and will continue to the west through the winter. Traffic will be maintained with occasional lane closings and shifting of traffic during the day.
• Thornton Street westbound, between South Broadway and South Main Street: Closed through mid-December for road construction. Detour is South Broadway to Exchange Street to South High Street to South Main Street.
• Thornton Street eastbound, between Coburn Street and Wolf Ledges Parkway: Reduced to one lane through mid-December for road construction.
• Grant Street over I-76: Closed through mid-December for bridge replacement. Detour will be Crosier Street to Wolf Ledges Parkway to Thornton Street to Grant Street. The ramp from Grant Street to I-76 eastbound/I-77 southbound is closed through late December. Detour is Grant Street to Exchange Street to Spicer Street to Carroll Street to state Route 8 southbound to I-76 eastbound. The entrance and exit ramps at Grant Street will remain closed permanently. Detours are posted.
• I-76 and South Main Street: The ramps from South Street to I-76 eastbound are permanently closed. A detour is posted. South Main and Broadway between Miller Road and Bartges Street have lane restrictions for road construction until further notice.
• Aqueduct Street, between Morningside Drive and Memorial Parkway: Closed until further notice for street improvement work. A detour is posted. Access maintained for local traffic only. Gas main replacement will also continue along Aqueduct and there will be occasional lane closings until the end of December.
• Furnace Street, between High Street and North Summit Street: Closed for sewer work until Friday. Detour via North Howard Street and East North Street.
• Road closings at South Main Street for road construction: West South Street, Buchtel Avenue and West Crosier Street will be closed at South Main through mid-December. Detour will be Princeton Street to West Miller Avenue to South Main Street.
• Bartges Street eastbound, between South Main and South High streets: Closed through January for road construction. Detour for eastbound Bartges Street is South Main Street to Cedar Street to South High Street, and for southbound South Main it will be Bartges to Rhodes Avenue to Thornton Street to South Main.
• East Bartges Street, between South High Street and Broadway: Closed through January for road construction. Detour for eastbound West Bartges Street is Main Street to East Exchange Street, and from South Broadway it will be East Exchange Street to South Main to Bartges.
• West Exchange Street, between Water Street and West Bowery Street: One through lane and metered parking on the north side of West Exchange will be closed in each direction for about 18 months for construction of a building addition. A minimum of two lanes will be maintained.
• Rand Avenue and Dart Avenue, between Euclid Avenue and West Market Street: Both lanes on each of the streets have been reopened to traffic. Occasional shifting of traffic will occur as work continues. Rand Avenue is closed between West Market and about 700 feet south. Detours are posted. This is in preparation for the removal of state Route 59 between West Exchange and West Market. Traffic will be maintained.
• Glendale Avenue, from Rand Avenue to the intersection of Locust Street: Closed until late 2018 for work on the combined sewer overflows project at the Ohio Canal Interceptor Tunnel. Detours will be posted. The right lane of West Mill Street, west of Dart Avenue and the south 150 feet of Bates Street will also be closed. Detours will be posted.
• Hickory Street, between North Street and Memorial Parkway: Closed until late 2018 to prepare for work on the Ohio Canal Interceptor Tunnel. It includes the temporary relocation of the Towpath Trail to Hickory Street from Maple Street to near Memorial Parkway.
Other road construction:
Elsewhere in Summit County:
• State Route 21 northbound ramp to I-76 westbound: Closed until 6 a.m. Wednesday for road reconstruction. Detour will be Route 21 northbound to state Route 261 westbound to Route 21 southbound to I-76 westbound.
• I-76 westbound ramp to state Route 21 southbound: Closed until 6 a.m. Wednesday for road reconstruction. Detour will be I-76 westbound to state Route 261 westbound to I-76 eastbound to Route 21 southbound.
• I-76 westbound at Barber Road, and Barber Road under I-76 in Barberton: The ramp from Barber Road to I-76 westbound will be closed until 6 a.m. Wednesday. Detour will be state Route 261 westbound to Cleveland-Massillon Road southbound or Norton Road westbound to Massillon Road northbound.
• I-76 in Norton and Barberton: The following restrictions are in place through early May for reconstruction of the Cleveland-Massillon Road bridge over I-76: Cleveland-Massillon Road over I-76 is reduced to one lane in each direction; Oser Road at Cleveland-Massillon Road is closed. Detour is Cleveland-Massillon Road to Greenfall Road to Easton Road; the I-76 eastbound exit ramp to Cleveland-Massillon Road is restricted to right turn only; and I-76 westbound to Cleveland-Massillon Road is restricted to a right turn only for trucks. Detours are posted.
• I-76, between the Medina County line and Central Avenue in Norton and Barberton: Nightly lane restrictions until further notice for pavement widening.
• U.S. 42 (Pearl Road), from just south of Harding Street to Reagan Parkway in Medina: Restricted lane widths continue along the project corridor for waterline and storm sewer line placement. Placing concrete sidewalks and driveways will continue from Reagan Parkway to the north end, along the east side of U.S. 42. Sewer work, from Reagan Parkway to the south end, will have daily lane closings. Work continues on storm sewers from Reagan Parkway to the south end of the project. Walgreens can be accessed from the back entrance of the Medina Shopping Center and the new front entrance off of U.S. 42. The project is expected to be completed in November 2018.
• County Road 4 (West Smith Road), between Huntington Street and South Prospect Street in Medina: Closed for a bridge replacement for about 90 days. Completion work will begin on the sidewalks and railing. Local detour and truck detours are posted.
• Frost Road, between Ellsworth Road and Phillips Parkway and at the intersection of state Route 43 in Streetsboro: Occasional lane restrictions for road widening until further notice.
• I-480, under Frost Road between the Summit County line and the Ohio Turnpike in Streetsboro: Occasional lane restrictions for bridge work until further notice.
• Dressler Road and Glenwood Street, between Strip Avenue and Linwood Avenue in North Canton: Until further notice, there will be daily lane restrictions for installation of a pedestrian trail.
• State Route 619, between Kaufman Avenue and Milan Avenue in Hartville and Lake Township: Daily lane restrictions for road widening until further notice. The project also includes placements of roundabouts at the intersections of Kaufman Avenue and Route 619 and Kings Church Avenue.
• State Route 43, between 55th Street and Easton Street in North Canton and Plain Township: Daily lane restrictions for road widening until further notice.
• Kline Road, over I-71: Closed for a bridge replacement until further notice. There will be nightly lane closings on I-71. A detour is posted. The project will soon be shut down for the winter months and resume in the spring.
Traffic planners: Please fax traffic updates to 330-996-3033.