Here is a list of road and lane closings in the Akron area:
Major highways abruptly closed: None.
• West Market Street, just west of Main Street: Lane restrictions for a water main repair project. Trafic will be maintained in all directions but the left turn lane for eastbound traffic will be closed, along with the left through lane for westbound traffic. The work is expected to last about two days.
• Interstate 77 northbound ramp, to I-76 westbound: Closed through late August for road construction. Detour is I-277 westbound to I-76/Kenmore leg eastbound.
• State Route 8 southbound ramp, to I-76 westbound: Closed through late August 2019 for road construction. Detour is I-77 southbound to I-277 westbound to I-76/Kenmore leg eastbound.
• South Main Street entrance ramp to I-76 eastbound: Closed through September for a bridge replacement. The southbound detour is East Thornton Street to Grant Street to I-76, and the northbound detour is East Miller Avenue to Bellows Street to East South Street to Grant Street to I-76.
• I-76 lane restrictions and ramp closings: Until further notice, the following will occur: The ramp from Lakeshore Boulevard to I-76 eastbound is closed. Detour will be Lakeshore to West Thornton Street to Grant Street to East Exchange Street to Spicer Street to Carroll Street to state Route 8; I-76 in both directions from just east of state Route 59/innerbelt to just east of I-77/Route 8/Central Interchange is reduced to two lanes in each direction, with all traffic crossed over onto the westbound lanes of I-76; and the ramp from I-76 eastbound to I-77 southbound is closed. Detour is I-76/Kenmore leg westbound to I-277 eastbound to I-77 southbound.
• Kelly Avenue, between Neville Avenue and Austin Avenue: Northbound curb lane will be closed Wednesday through Friday for sewer connection work but traffic will be maintained in both directions.
• Memorial Parkway, between Barwell Street and Winfield Way: Lane restrictions for repair work on a bridge that crosses Memorial Parkway until April 6. Only one lane will be open but flaggers will maintain traffic in both directions.
• Royal Avenue and surrounding neighborhood: Restoration work through Friday on Palisades Drive between Merriman Road and Bell Ridge Road, and Royal Avenue, between Palisades and Mentor Road. Traffic will be maintained but there will be some temporary lane closings and shifting of traffic.
• East Exchange Street, between South High Street and South Main Street: Lane restrictions for sanitary sewer work on the north side of East Exchange. Two westbound lanes will be maintained at all times around the work zone but eastbound traffic detours will be posted. It is expected to be completed by March 9.
• West Exchange Street, near the intersection of South Main Street: Lane restrictions until late March for a duct bank and manhole replacement project from Maiden Lane to about 100 feet west of Paul Williams Street on both sides of West Exchange. Detour posted for eastbound traffic. Westbound traffic will be maintained but shifted as work progresses.
• West Exchange Street, between Water Street and West Bowery Street: One through lane and metered parking on the north and south sides of West Exchange will be closed in each direction through August for construction of a building addition. A minimum of two lanes will be maintained. The closing of the two north lanes of West Exchange has been extended east to Locust Street.
• Akron General Avenue, between West Cedar Street and Livingston Street: Work will continue on a new pedestrian bridge until the end of March. Traffic will be maintained in both directions, but there will be occasional lane closings and shifting of traffic.
• East Voris Street, between South Main Street and Coburn Street: Closed through late April for road construction. Detour will be Russell Street to Coburn Street.
• West Center Street bridge, between Rand Avenue and Dart Avenue: Closed until July for bridge replacement. Traffic will be detoured using Rand Avenue, West State Street bridge and Dart Avenue.
• West Bowery Street, between West Cedar Street and West Exchange Street: Closed for continuing work on a steam condensate project until March 23. Detours will be posted. Access maintained from West Exchange for all businesses and emergency vehicles.
• West Bowery Street, between West Exchange Street and West State Street: One lane will be closed in each direction through August for construction of a building addition. Traffic will be maintained but shifted to provide a patient drop-off area at Akron Children’s Hospital. A steam condensate project continues on Bowery, just north of Exchange. The work zone has been moved from the east side to the west side requiring shifting of traffic.
• Thornton Street eastbound, between Coburn Street and Wolf Ledges Parkway: Reduced to one lane through late April for road construction.
• I-76 and South Main Street: The ramps from South Street to I-76 eastbound are permanently closed. A detour is posted. South Main and Broadway between Miller Road and Bartges Street have lane restrictions for road construction until further notice.
• Aqueduct Street, between Morningside Drive and Memorial Parkway: Closed until further notice for street improvement work. A detour is posted. Access maintained for local traffic only.
• Bartges Street eastbound, between South Main and South High streets: Closed until further notice for road construction. Detour for eastbound Bartges Street is South Main Street to Cedar Street to South High Street, and for southbound South Main it will be Bartges to Rhodes Avenue to Thornton Street to South Main.
• East Bartges Street, between South High Street and Broadway: Closed until further notice for road construction. Detour for eastbound West Bartges Street is Main Street to East Exchange Street, and from South Broadway it will be East Exchange Street to South Main to Bartges.
• Rand Avenue and Dart Avenue, between Euclid Avenue and West Market Street: Rand Avenue is closed between West Market and about 700 feet south until March 30. Detours are posted. On Dart Avenue and the portion of Rand Avenue located south of West Mill Street, both lanes have been reopened to traffic. There may still be occasional lane closings and shifting of traffic as work continues.
• Glendale Avenue, from Rand Avenue to the intersection of Locust Street: Closed until late 2018 for work on the combined sewer overflows project at the Ohio Canal Interceptor Tunnel. Detours will be posted. The right lane of West Mill Street, west of Dart Avenue and the south 150 feet of Bates Street will also be closed. Detours will be posted.
• Hickory Street, between North Street and Memorial Parkway: Closed until late 2018 to prepare for work on the Ohio Canal Interceptor Tunnel. It includes the temporary relocation of the Towpath Trail to Hickory Street from Maple Street to near Memorial Parkway.
Other road construction:
Elsewhere in Summit County:
• I-76 eastbound between state routes 94 and 261 in Norton, Barberton and Wadsworth: Lane restrictions Wednesday from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. for pavement repairs.
• I-76 in Norton and Barberton: The following restrictions are in place through early May for reconstruction of the Cleveland-Massillon Road bridge over I-76: Cleveland-Massillon Road over I-76 is reduced to one lane in each direction; Oser Road at Cleveland-Massillon Road is closed. Detour is Cleveland-Massillon Road to Greenfall Road to Easton Road; the I-76 eastbound exit ramp to Cleveland-Massillon Road is restricted to right turn only; and I-76 westbound to Cleveland-Massillon Road is restricted to a right turn only for trucks. Detours are posted.
• I-76, between the Medina County line and Central Avenue in Norton and Barberton: Nightly lane restrictions until further notice for pavement widening.
• East Smith Road, between Brook Run Drive and River Styx Road in Montville Township: Closed Wednesday from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. for tree removal. It will remain open to school buses and emergency vehicles.
• Abbeyville Road/Neff Road intersection in Liverpool Township: Closed Thursday from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. for tree removal. It will remain open to school buses and emergency vehicles.
• U.S. 42 (Pearl Road), from just south of Harding Street to Reagan Parkway in Medina: Restricted lane widths continue along the project corridor for waterline and storm sewer line placement. Placing concrete sidewalks and driveways will continue from Reagan Parkway to the north end, along the east side of U.S. 42. Sewer work, from Reagan Parkway to the south end, will have daily lane closings. Work continues on storm sewers from Reagan Parkway to the south end of the project. The project is expected to be completed in November 2018.
• Stone Road, between Beck Road and Columbia Road in Litchfield Township: Closed until further notice because of structural concerns of a bridge less than a mile west of Columbia Road.
• Frost Road, between Ellsworth Road and Phillips Parkway and at the intersection of state Route 43 in Streetsboro: Occasional lane restrictions for road widening until further notice.
• I-480, under Frost Road between the Summit County line and the Ohio Turnpike in Streetsboro: Occasional lane restrictions for bridge work until further notice.
• State Route 619, between Kaufman Avenue and Milan Avenue in Hartville and Lake Township: Daily lane restrictions for road widening until further notice. The project also includes placements of roundabouts at the intersections of Kaufman Avenue and Route 619 and Kings Church Avenue.
• State Route 43, between 55th Street and Easton Street in North Canton and Plain Township: Daily lane restrictions for road widening until further notice.
No current projects to report.
Traffic planners: Please fax traffic updates to 330-996-3033.