At least five Perry High School students were hospitalized Wednesday after ingesting candy that was brought into the school.

Perry Township police responded to the school shortly before 9 a.m., according to the department.

Police said students were experiencing “medical concerns,” although authorities did not specify the symptoms.

Students who showed the symptoms or indicated they ate the candy were assessed by medical personnel on scene, and their parents were contacted.

Police said about 20 students were involved. Five were taken to the hospital by emergency services.

The Massillon, Jackson Township and Perry Township fire departments responded to the school.

Numerous other parents took their students in for medical treatment, police said.

The police department is conducting an investigation into the case. The candy was taken to the Stark County Crime Lab for immediate analysis.

“Upon the findings of the investigation, appropriate disciplinary and legal action will be taken — if deemed necessary,” said Nathan Stutz, the assistant superintendent of Perry Local Schools, in a written statement. “I would like to thank all safety services for their quick response and support. Again, the well-being of our students is our top priority, and we take all situations that may impact their safety very seriously.”